• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Something gyuto, cheap, and stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmtb

Banned
Reaction score
OK guys,

I am looking for some knives. Ahhem, not for me. I have two young cousins that I want to start out right, getting them good Japanese stainless steel.

Since my collection is, shall we say at the upper end, and I gave away a Hiromoto AS to a brother in law just a short period ago, I am in need of something used, about 210 to 240 around 59 HRC and stainless. Oh the price, around $50 a piece

Thank in advance.

I have a 210 Tojiro DP, if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Wow, thats a tough one...I am not sure many people here would have much in that price range unless it was beat up...but you probably already knew that.

I am sure you have already weighed the options, but I would go for the Forschener Rosewood, teach them how to use and respect it, then go for something higher if they can prove they can use it. Either that or teach them how to use a cleaver first and get a CCK.

Dp is perfect. Maybe forschner for the younger one.

Wow, thats a tough one...I am not sure many people here would have much in that price range unless it was beat up...but you probably already knew that.

I am sure you have already weighed the options, but I would go for the Forschener Rosewood, teach them how to use and respect it, then go for something higher if they can prove they can use it. Either that or teach them how to use a cleaver first and get a CCK.

I was going to let them try your kayagaki a/s but I like it too much. It is the perfect carbon knife for me, something I am not afraid to put patina on, and something that is sharp. I put an aggressive edge on it, and Ripe tomatoes don't stand a chance. I use that and the TKC interchangeably.

I am probably going to give the younger one this knife. I saw it at World Market picking up some Belgian malt brew.

pCPWM-7407024v300x300.jpg

It is surprisingly thin and has a pretty good profile. 8 inch, all for 13 bucks.

I was going to let them try your kayagaki a/s but I like it too much. It is the perfect carbon knife for me, something I am not afraid to put patina on, and something that is sharp. I put an aggressive edge on it, and Ripe tomatoes don't stand a chance. I use that and the TKC interchangeably.

No doubt the AS in that knife takes a killer edge. Although they are theoretically the same steel, I believe the kagayuki is capable of a sharper and steeper edge than the hiro AS.

I am glad you like it! :thumbsup:

That's a suprisingly good looking knife for 13 bucks! Even if the steel is crap it looks thin enough to do a decent job.

Considering it is factory made, it should look like a Ferrari of a knife. There is no difference in cost or time of making different shapes when knives are banged out by robots in a factory.

I say DP and Forschner.

Do you think the brittleness(compared to a cheapo anyways) of the DP is going to be an issue? Even I put chips in mine sometimes.

I found what I was looking for in the DP. Thanks All.

Eamon,
I am going to put differing bevels on the DP. At the heel, I'm going to going to put a less acute angle than near the middle and the tip. We'll see how it goes.

Do keep us posted(at least me)!

I am *very* interested to see how a normal kid does with a knife at that hardness.

If the OP passes, I would be interested in that 210 FKH sj96. Please PM me...

JC

I will pass on this one because it is carbon. However I am looking for a 240 carbon suji like a fujiwara if anyone has got one.

Back