Doctors in the UK tried to ban knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, never thought I'd see something like that lol

Guess it's a nakiri for everyone :bat:

the uk has already banned the sell of knives on ebay uk. they aren't too far away from getting it done.

What's next? Are they going to ban guns too? Oh wait...

i am still amazed we aren't allowed nail clippers on a plane yet we get metal utensils and can have a 4 foot chain tied to our wallets, makes sense.

I think I remember this from a while back.
Unless I'm mistaken, they claimed to have interviewed a few Chefs, who had unanimously told them that only a paring knife needs to have a pointed tip...

ER, I think that's short sighted.

Knives, in just the last 10 years, have been banned from almost every public venue including transportation hubs all over this country.

There was a time, not so long ago, when teachers would ask students to sharpen their pencils or cut an apple with their pocket knives. Today kids are arrested for bringing plastic butter knives to school, heck, for even mentioning the word "knife" or "gun" they get expelled.

I personally don't see an end to what the takers will take. I feel that the gun thing is hardly over, it's just at rest for the next tragedy that can be used.

I want to discuss more deeply but we're in the shallow end of the politics pool here.

You can't buy knives on eBay in the UK? That's hardcore. I'm always worried carrying my knives. There are a lot of things knives are useful for besides violence. Your right about the kids getting arrested Dave. I know a kid who got suspended for not reporting that another student had an L shaped piece of wood in wood shop because it could be used as a toy gun. I was suspended for a week in middle school for having nail clippers.

Those issues are solved by not voting local morons into power. Given that local elections tend to have very small voter turnouts, it shouldn't be too hard to get some non-idiots voting, if such things are issues in your locale.

If you do some searching and try to piece together the real quotes answers from chefs not just what they sensationalize in their report, you'll find they say a pointed tip is not 100% needed but it is useful and makes many tasks easier. I mean what real chef is gonna say they have to have one specific knife to be able to cook. Anyone seen cutthroat kitchen ?

Those issues are solved by not voting local morons into power. Given that local elections tend to have very small voter turnouts, it shouldn't be too hard to get some non-idiots voting, if such things are issues in your locale.

E, it's the local morons that vote other local morons into power. Vicious circle that's nearly impossible to break. Rational decision making has departed the political arena eons ago, I'm afraid.

The last gun headline that Obama was calling for all guns to be banned. A week before there was a guy that drove 1k miles shooting people with a cross bow. Nothing was ever said about that when he got to were he was going he held up a class room looking to kill everyone in it. I was waiting for the media to call for a ban on all hunting equipment.

a folding corkscrew can be used as a wicked weapon; does this mean all wine has to have screw tops? cranky72

The best way to form a future society is to mold the children appropriately. Make children afraid of guns and knives and they will be more agreeable passive voters.

The main reason this came about was due to the large occurances of knife crimes being commited in the UK.My home country Scotland has the dubious honour of having the highest rate of knife attacks in Europe-3 times as many as England with about an 1/8th of the population.I remember in the 80's having to go through metal detectors in Glasgow nightclubs as there had been a wave of random stabbings on the dancefloors.I also remember how common it was to see men in the Cities with "Glasgow smiles "as that was the common punishment dished out if you were caught by a rival gang.Then you had a huge upsurge in football violence also in the 80's/90's and every weekend there would be organised battles and often the boys were armed with knives,commonly stanley knives.When i was younger i would nearly always carry a knife if i was going out as my thinking was if someone was going to try to stab me then I wanted to defend myself,i am glad it is very hard to get guns in Scotland as i am sure they would be a lot of killings.Even when the rates of stabbings and slashings were high I never had any problems carrying my knives to and from work as they were tools of trade and excempt from the law as long as they were in an enclosed case/bag.

Just noticed this thread. A huge problem I've encountered in the UK is posting knives. "For security reasons" if you try to post any parcel the Post Office staff ask you what it is and if you mention the word "knife" they refuse to post it. They have a list of prohibited items and it says weapons, with a picture of a machete beside it. So the Post Office people decide themselves that a kitchen knife is a weapon. This is despite the fact that there is another list, of "restricted items" which says kitchen knives are fine as long as they are well-packaged. I had awful trouble the last time I tried to post a knife, after arguing with the staff in about 4 Post Offices and phoning to complain, I found one where they didn't ask me what was in it and posted it fine. So despite their own rules saying kitchen knives are fine, the morons who work in the actual places don't know the rules

Yeh I've had this problem. I have my usual "kitchen cutlery" response ready now which seems to avoid any further questions.

Latest posts

Back