Lacking tools

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
No, not kitchen tools.

Effective tools I've used over the years.

"Have you ever tasted a cinder block?"
"I will put your head through the wall"
"I will put my fist through your head"
"I will put my foot up into your neck"
I will torture your mother, and she'll love it"
"My dish crew will be waiting outside for you with baseball bats"

These are the clean ones....

With an HR department, I have to resort to:

"It is ok that you've made this same mistake eighteen times, I will deal with it, and do what I can to help you."

I'm going to put my own head through a wall soon!

I recall being in a harassment seminar and having a co worker tell me I'm a lawsuit waiting to happen...

There are always Hot Heads in a Kitchen.HR would make them take anger management classes.Not a bad idea.In my almost 40 yrs. in kitchens seen a chef chased with a nut with a cleaver.A storeroom guy chased with a cook wt. chef knife.A very good friend of mine murdered in the chef's office at Sheraton Waikiki by some instable lightweight @*!hole.

old adage of 'can't handle the heat, get out da kitchen!' applies to dealing with conflicting personalities as well as the actual work. having to neuter your statements is quite a handicap and sucks all the fun out.

A very good friend of mine murdered in the chef's office at Sheraton Waikiki by some instable lightweight @*!hole.

Damn dude. Sucks to hear that. Most people who Ive seen pick up a knife at someone and threaten them were abusers of cocaina. On the flip side, after working weeks and sometimes months straight without days off, the only way to get through the long shifts is to flip sh*t to everyone, just to get the crazy out of you.

With an HR department, I have to resort to:

"It is ok that you've made this same mistake eighteen times, I will deal with it, and do what I can to help you."

I went through that last year, first job in a big hotel after years in kind of full on fine dining restaurants. And I completely feel your pain. I got a written warning for calling a dish hand a sister f*&ker - in Hindi. Super frustrating.

The worst thing is that the chefs who had been there for twenty years all knew that if their boss yelled or swore they could just trot up to HR, and all of the sudden the issue was not there consistant poor performance, but their boss's potty mouth.

Definitely a pretty steep learning curve, to deal with that rubbish.

I agree. I'd rather blow up at an employees behavior and treat them like a human over beers after shift. The other option where you half ass the admonishment leaves everyone hanging and no one gets past it. People just malinger along afterwards.

Conversely, I worked for a chef years ago that went above and beyond. He once threw a plate... hitting a server in the head....in front of customers. We walked outside, quit, and called the police. Owners forced him into 2 weeks unpaid management, but he kept his job. Next year he had so many written complaints from FoH about sexual harassment they had to can him. There is still a line, and real violence/sexual harassment of girls younger than your daughter is enough for me.

Back