Am I the only home cook to prefer a larger chef's knife??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all Son's fault, of course. He let me use a 29cm Trompette Sabatier for some time before cleaning it up. I had used large blades before, but this one was slightly forward heavy, so it was much easier and not that fatiguing. Question of changing the grip.
I bought a 270 Hiromoto, and it gives me the same impression. So much faster than a 240. Am I the only one??

I enjoy using a 270 that runs long.
Sometimes, though, i take halh step back from the board, and i have spent some time in a pro environment.

I've found the sweet spot for me is in the ~255ish range.

I use 240 which I think is about the limits of my tiny kitchen. I've had a few epiphanies in the years since I've started taking my cooking seriously and every time that I have gone up in size I have much preferred the results: going up to an 18x24 cutting board, I cook almost exclusively at this point in a 12" cast iron skillet and the move from a 180mm chef's knife up to the 240mm. Every instance, a can't imagine going back to the smaller size so maybe a 270 is my next stop on this adventure. I saw the pass around for the 270mm Tanaka awhile ago and regret not trying to be apart of it because I'd really like to try that knife in that size out.

Sorry , didn't read the thread properly , my use of 270mm knives is a habbit from my pro kitchen

I've seen this statement quite a few times and it always confuses me. What makes a 270 faster then a 240?:scratchhead:

Be well,
mikey

You can cut more things with bigger blades at once versus smaller blades

I like my knife edge to be around 250mm. So I buy 240mm gyutos from makers that run a little long (Masamoto, Heiji, Shigefusa, Etc)

I've never gotten the impression that shorter knives are preferred by the majority of this community. While there are some users who use them and prefer them, shorter blades are often much more attributed to outsiders (e.g. "the masses" and "wives").

Sold on 270s as a home cook with a decent amount of room in the kitchen. Might even be selling my 240s soon because of it.

I go anywhere from 175-240. In general, if cooking for four or less, I don't feel a huge need for bigger. Realistically, bigger is only quicker if you can fluidly cut 9 carrots with as much speed as you can 1-3 with a smaller blade.

I also prefer 270. Quicker for everything.

Two elements I would like to mention: weight, which means less effort, when properly sharpened, and edge retention, as a larger area will touch the board.

A few years ago I picked up a Tadatsuna Inox 300mm gyuto. At the time the forum was going through a carbon purity movement, and 300mm was not a popular size. So I got a great deal on the knife.

The knife was a pleasant surprise. Apparently Tadatsunas run short. Mine is in the 285 range. The profile fits my cutting style to a t, so its my most comfortable gyuto to use.

I really want to like gyutos, so I can hang out with the cool kids on the forum, which is probably 99 percent of all users. I just can't get over that half of the knife is waving around in the air, when push cutting or chopping. So I joined the dark side and got into cleavers.

It's almost counter intuitive, but the weight of a knife makes it more efficient as a cutter. That is why I prefer heavier knives. I kept trying heavier and heavier knifes and found knives over 700 grams were too much.

Jay

As a home cook without decent cutting skills I don't see benefits in using larger blades. My longest blade is 240 and I can't say I'm any more productive with it compared to 210. Probably I would be as productive with 180mm gyuto if I had one.

For larger blades you'd need better skills and more space in the kitchen.

Depends on the job,have used 270 better for some duties.However most I prefer a 240 a perfect size for many prep jobs.Banquets cutting 5 cases mushrooms or dicing 25# of tomatos 240 large enough for the job. Lighter smaller than 270 more nimble=speed.

Interesting thread... if it goes any further with the weight love maybe we'll see a new resurgence for germans :)
Or maybe a german knife with less belly will prove to be the ultimate gyuto!
Sorry, just kiddin...

So a 270, which is heavier, is "faster" than a 240/210?. Right.

I totally understand that large knives are essential in a pro kitchen for large volume production. Anyone who thinks a 270 is somehow advantageous when cooking a meal for 4 is deluding themselves, "Don't buy a 210" has been essentially gospel on the forums for many years. It's a macho thing, pure and simple.

Two elements I would like to mention: weight, which means less effort, when properly sharpened, and edge retention, as a larger area will touch the board.

Less effort only when the knife moves towards the chopping board, you still have to lift it back up right?

Personally I would think a lighter knife would require less effort in the long run. It might not fall through things by its own weight but surely the difference is marginal if both blades are appropriately sharpened.

Light knife: slightly more effort as the knife moves through food, less effort lifting up for the next slice.
Heavy knife: 'falls through' food easier, more effort to lift up again.

In my opinion in a long prep day the lighter knife wins for me as an all rounder.
However you are referring to home cooking which is different entirely as you don't have to worry about using the knife for a whole day.
I must admit the main basis for why i prefer a lightweight 240 gyuto for most things is that I don't want to be lifting something heavy up and down all day.

Another point although a weak one i must admit ... Brunoise onion surely is not as easy with a 270-300 compared to 240? The further your guiding hand is away from your body the less control you have

Depends on the job,have used 270 better for some duties.However most I prefer a 240 a perfect size for many prep jobs.Banquets cutting 5 cases mushrooms or dicing 25# of tomatos 240 large enough for the job. Lighter smaller than 270 more nimble=speed.

Something tells me this is not for home use. If it is what size is your family where you need 25# of tomatoes?

Less effort only when the knife moves towards the chopping board, you still have to lift it back up right?

Personally I would think a lighter knife would require less effort in the long run. It might not fall through things by its own weight but surely the difference is marginal if both blades are appropriately sharpened.

Light knife: slightly more effort as the knife moves through food, less effort lifting up for the next slice.
Heavy knife: 'falls through' food easier, more effort to lift up again.

In my opinion in a long prep day the lighter knife wins for me as an all rounder.
However you are referring to home cooking which is different entirely as you don't have to worry about using the knife for a whole day.
I must admit the main basis for why i prefer a lightweight 240 gyuto for most things is that I don't want to be lifting something heavy up and down all day.

Another point although a weak one i must admit ... Brunoise onion surely is not as easy with a 270-300 compared to 240? The further your guiding hand is away from your body the less control you have

It's more then just falling through food. A heavier knife gives a finer sense of control over the side to side movement of the blade. Which is different from a knife being nimble. When trying to cut an onion as thinly as possible its easier to feel a heavier knife make a small movement. I can slice up an onion more consistently with a heavier knife.

I am more confident making finer cuts with a heavier knife, since I can feel where the knife is at all times, which makes me more productive. I only feel the need for a heavier knife when chopping large amounts of veggies or protein.

Jay

Due to small counter space, even 240 sometimes runs a little long. Even though I like the size, I am in a hunt for 210mm gyuto now.

Something tells me this is not for home use. If it is what size is your family where you need 25# of tomatoes?

Had to dice tomato's all the time Lomi Salmon for banquets(Hawaiian dish).Lots of yrs. Hotel Banquets 240mm gyuto most,Used 270 for some jobs chopping lettuce or loading up cutting alot of things at once.A 240 is more of a speed blade than the larger 270.

Now I'm semi retired still like 240 for making meals for 3 people,sometimes more.Always have a couple cleavers on my mag block.For small prep I grab a 223mm old style carbon drop nose gyuto.

It's more then just falling through food. A heavier knife gives a finer sense of control over the side to side movement of the blade. Which is different from a knife being nimble. When trying to cut an onion as thinly as possible its easier to feel a heavier knife make a small movement. I can slice up an onion more consistently with a heavier knife.

I am more confident making finer cuts with a heavier knife, since I can feel where the knife is at all times, which makes me more productive. I only feel the need for a heavier knife when chopping large amounts of veggies or protein.

Jay

Good point. Makes me want to get a heavy 270 and play around with it for a few weeks to see.

It's all Son's fault, of course. He let me use a 29cm Trompette Sabatier for some time before cleaning it up. I had used large blades before, but this one was slightly forward heavy, so it was much easier and not that fatiguing. Question of changing the grip.
I bought a 270 Hiromoto, and it gives me the same impression. So much faster than a 240. Am I the only one??

270 is best for me. 240 isn't quite long enough and 300 seems a little too long. I'm a home cook too and I have way more knives than I need but I justify it by "it's my hobby". I have 270 gyutos that weigh from 175 grams to 250 grams. Like 'em all a lot.

I've never gotten the impression that shorter knives are preferred by the majority of this community. While there are some users who use them and prefer them, shorter blades are often much more attributed to outsiders (e.g. "the masses" and "wives").
...and "Jacques Pepin"...

Latest posts

Back