What are some of your favorite pieces of gear?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious what are some items (feel free to list a few that you feel strongly about) of kitchen gear that you really like? These might be common, basic items that you think most people have, but it would be interesting to hear people's specific preferences. It could be specialty items that you don't need, but are surprisingly useful at certain times. I'm curious about items in a variety of price ranges.

What are some things you really love, and couldn't imagine not having (or wouldn't want to be without)?

And, to start off, not that I couldn't live without it, but I have a plastic pineapple corer that works surprisingly well. Cut off the top of the pineapple, put this thing on top, and then push down and turn it eight or so times, then pull it out. I'm sure it's not the most efficient, and I wouldn't say everyone needs one, but it works well, and is fun.

My huge pestle and mortar and my 10" thick butchers block, at home to give my 6'5" frame some hunch relief!

+1 Huge mortar and pestle, and my pressure cooker. This saves alot of time and headache baby sitting stocks and such.

SHARPIES!, Offset Spatula, spoon collection, 9 inch tongs, notepad that can fit in pocket

My wooden spoons and spurtles, micro grater, Kyocera peeler and Nigella Lawson mini whisk

Cambro containers and pyrex measuring cups.

Silicone spatule, Microplane graters, Staub dutch oven for bread baking, mango pit-from-fruit-separating-thingie.

Stefan

I absolutely love my set of Vollrath stainless steel mixing bowls.

Kuhn Rikon SoftEdge Slotted Spatula, Fissler Blue-Point Pressure Cooker, Japanese earthenware pot, OXO Good Grips Pop Storage Containers.....

I have a feeling this will turn into the 'shopping-list-if-I-ever-win-the-lottery' thread...

Stefan

My absolute essential is a Thermapen, followed by a scale with a tare function.

Jay

My knives.

For a moment, or a second, the pinched expressions of the cynical, world-weary, throat-cutting, miserable bastards we've all had to become disappears, when we're confronted with something as simple as a plate of food. - Bourdaino

Left handed fish spat, Rosle tongs, multiple plating spoons, olivewood risotto spoon, high-heat rubber spat, oxo silicone micro whisk, microplane--- all indispensable during service.

Good ones Chris. Rosle tongs FTW! Where do we keeps all of our tools? Ultimate edge deluxe 18 pocket knife kit of course.

Several kunz spoons, regular and slotted. 4inch f.dick fish spatula. Hi temp rubber spatula. Whustoff shears. Husky needlenose pliers for pin bones.cuisinart buerre blender.

i used to make those. Made a giant one for my dad so he could flip Elk and bear roasts. It was forged all out of mild steel and I carved the steel handle into the head of an eagle. I also made one out of a 200 year old lightening rod once upon a time. Wish I still had that one. It's in a good home now though.

My nearly twenty year old mundial carving fork. I did a trade school cookery subject as a high school elective, and this is the only piece of kit I still have from it. Rosewood handle (that I'll replace one day), light, thin, sharp and tough. Not awesome for actual carving, but I use it for cooking and plating everyday. Not. High end fork at all - I bought it when I was fourteen.

Also my bbq tweezers. 35 cm, fine tip tweezers. Long and tough, just for chargrill work.

Back