Quantcast
can we have a 'like' button? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can we have a 'like' button?

I don't see the point. I think plus ones and emoticons work fine. You also don't have to quote a whole long post. You can just do sections.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Don't like "like"
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I don't like the like button idea
    "There are 2 mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way and not starting"

I don't either, now I've seen the back lash! Haha!

I don't really think it's a bad idea, but I don't think its necessary either.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I don't like. I'm really happy with how uncluttered the threads are. No ads, and no likes are a big plus for me. Not to mention the whole popularity contest that inevitably arises... And I'm a 34 year old, avid FB and Instagrammer btw.
    Without a like button I would have to add comments with "+1" or similar very meaningful content. If there are several of us, you'd have a full screen of meaningless comments. Is that what you call uncluttered?

Right now there are buttons like "reply", "reply with quote" and some others under each comment. I don't see how adding small button with text "Like" would clutter thread.

What's so bad about popularity contests? Nobody is forcing you to start one or even participate in any.

Usually I tried to keep silence if I have nothing to add to conversation, but with like button I'd have an easy to use tool for marking those comments, that I do like and find interesting. For me Like button would be a tool to UNclutter threads.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Without a like button I would have to add comments with "+1" or similar very meaningful content. If there are several of us, you'd have a full screen of meaningless comments. Is that what you call uncluttered?

Right now there are buttons like "reply", "reply with quote" and some others under each comment. I don't see how adding small button with text "Like" would clutter thread.

What's so bad about popularity contests? Nobody is forcing you to start one or even participate in any.

Usually I tried to keep silence if I have nothing to add to conversation, but with like button I'd have an easy to use tool for marking those comments, that I do like and find interesting. For me Like button would be a tool to UNclutter threads.
    What purpose would a "like" button serve? Would it add anything meaningful to the discussion?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

No more or less than someone taking up bandwidth with a quote and '+1' or emoticon

There was a recent thread where one or more people had quoted a post containing a HUGE picture, just to add emoticons and similar. Annoying to scroll through. A little button for an acknowledgement of a comment streamlines the thread. I was a member of a very classy professional jazz musicians forum that had a 'thanks' button, in no way was that Facebooky

Anothing thing, a like button would decrease the amount of posts made, which is one way forums are ranked on forum ranking websites. The higher the rank on those sites, the better it is for advertising. Seems insignificant but every little bit counts.