A "Fun for Me" Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I like to try to make stuff. Doesn't always matter if I am successful but I enjoy trying to do something creative. If it turns out well and is useful that is a plus. I am not a good one for following directions so I tend to wing it and hopefully learn as I go along. Usually I figure out what not to do first. This project is an example. As I go along I will figure out what to do differently, what jigs to make and the tools to use so the next one I make will turn out better. Who knows, maybe I will eventually get good at this.

A short while ago my back was acting up so I had to find an old garage sale cane to keep from falling on my face. My wife asked "couldn't you make something like that?" So here is my first attempt. It won't get all the way finished today but here is the start of the project.

This photo shows the cane I am using as a reference and some scrap wood I will be using. This style of cane was comfortable for me and was very usable.
cane001_zpsa72e521d.jpg

Did a rough outline of the handle.
cane002_zpsfe019e0b.jpg

Drilled both pieces so I could use a dowel to strengthen the joint between the 2 pieces. (Note to self; make a couple jigs and use correct drill bit.) Using a hand held drill was not a good idea.
cane003_zpsdb2caca1.jpg

Cut out rough handle shape. (Note to self; don't use old dull bandsaw blade.)
cane004_zps3a930e33.jpg

Glued handle to the shaft. (Note to self; make a clamping jig.)
cane005_zps35b808ec.jpg

Evened up the sides.
cane006_zps9e67d356.jpg

Next I will need to even up the edges and clean up the profile of the handle. After that I will be using a router for the shaping.

Here I cleaned up the edges.
cane007_zps2ffb8b83.jpg

And did the rough shaping with a router.
cane008_zpsee57acbd.jpg

Hey Mark, when your back is all better you can use that as a putter. Nice, fun job. Hope you feel better.

nice work, I'll have to post pics of my cane.lol you'll appreciate it.

This is sloppy work but I learned what I need to know so I can do it right with the next one.
I still plan to complete the shaping and finishing on this one.
But, I have some curly rock maple on the way that I will use to make some nicer canes.
I am also going to start practicing with my carving so I can do some carved handles that don't look like a kid made them.

Back