Views: 103
Size:  22.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  6.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  9.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  21.1 KBAttachment 21894Attachment 21893Attachment 21892Attachment 21891

Several weeks ago I attended a two day class at DL's shop to learn how to heat treat W2 to bring out a Hamon. We started with rough forged blanks. After forging a bit, and doing an initial grind, David showed us how to apply the clay- not clay at all- and demo'd the heat treat process using a gas forge and parks 50 quench oil. Then we finished grinding, sanding etc till we etched the blade, revealing the hamon. I left with an unfinished blade but with a nice hamon. I had to re- grind and etch the blade to get it as thin as I wanted, and finally made a handle for it this weekend using some stabilized box elder burl w/ black spacers. This is my first knife, start to finish and second western handle. Thought I would share some photos. The blade has not been sharpened yet. Thx for looking. EricName:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  22.2 KB

Looks good Eric ,I bet it was real fun. Any more pics ?

Thx, it was a lot of fun! Maybe more after I clean up the blade and put the edge on. But if you mean of the class- no, sorry I didn't, but others did. I was trying just to keep up. Most people in the class had a lot more experience than I did. Several funny stories, for me at least, resulted from that. ER

Wow that handle is beautiful. Pretty darn good for your 2nd western handle.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Lucky guy!
    I wanna take a workshop with David Lisch. I'll bet it looks even better in person.
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Thx. It does look better in person-crappy lighting and cell phone. But also need to clean up the blade to make that Hamon POP. I am happy with the results though, the handle is super comfy, the blade wickedly thin, and surprisingly straight ! Next time I will focus a bit more on profile, the tip end is a bit fat for me, but i just sorta kept to the blanks overall shape. Anyway, thx for looking.