First project: sinkbridge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenMad

Reaction score
Hi all, have been drooling over all the wonderful stuff everyone has been showing here and decided that I'd turn my hand to something a little more straightforward while I'm waiting for my first gyuto to arrive - a nice, sinkbridge. Oh, and it's my first post here, so "Hi!" :)

It's made from jarrah with teak accents and aluminium spacers. The f&f is a little 'rustic' in a couple of places given I was using mainly hand tools although I bought a belt/disc sander towards the end (oh, for a drill press!)

Anyway, on with the pics - c&c welcome!

Adrian

Last edited:
That's an awesome looking sinkbridge you've made there! Congratulations and welcome to KKF :)

I would probably protect wood with some varnish as it may contact with water rather often. And replace screw with something like this
barawek5.jpg

That's an awesome looking sinkbridge you've made there! Congratulations and welcome to KKF :)

I would probably protect wood with some varnish as it may contact with water rather often. And replace screw with something like this
barawek5.jpg

Cheers guys. So far, I've finished it with Feast & Watson's "Kitchen Oil" which is basically a tung/nut oil that finishes matt. I'll be waxing it after the oil has completely dried with carnuba wax. I was hoping to find some wingnut screws like you showed but couldn't find anything locally - will keep looking because the one's I've used are bloody hard to turn! :) Thanks for the welcome and feedback!

Looks really clean and neat! Welcome to KKF!

may I ask
12189389503_1541240ba7_c.jpg

Looking at your beautiful work I feel shame about a piece of plank that I'm using as sinkbridge now. Gonna try making something at least half as beautiful as yours :)

How much do you sell these for :biggrin:

may I ask
12189389503_1541240ba7_c.jpg

Looking at your beautiful work I feel shame about a piece of plank that I'm using as sinkbridge now. Gonna try making something at least half as beautiful as yours :)

Thanks very much for your kind words! The holes and grooves are to help water drain away while sharpening instead of it pooling and spilling over the edges (the grooves help direct the water to the holes where the water drains). A sinkbridge is a really good project to work on as it's not too challenging (all straight edges) and you end up with something useful and looks good. Go for it! :)

How much do you sell these for :biggrin:

:plus1: You really could put these on the market. Great job.

I do concur!

Wow, what a great response - thanks everyone! :D

I had no idea it would be popular - I hadn't even considered selling them. Having made one now, I have different design ideas and ways to improve it so I might mess around a bit more.

Nicely done, have ya used it yet?

Not yet - still need to wax it for final protection. I plan to do that this weekend and then give it a go. :)

I have the Zwilling/Kramer sink bridge in bamboo. Yours looks.......a little nicer.

That's a damn nice sink bridge and a great first post... You will fit in here lol.
Welcome again .

Back