Quantcast
Any point setting new bevel - Kono HD gyuto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any point setting new bevel - Kono HD gyuto

Any point setting new bevel - Kono HD gyuto

The knife came with very "high" angles on both sides, and as well the bevel width is very tiny. I've been sharpening it maintaining the factory bevels and wonder if most people set a new bevel at a lower angle, or just leave it alone?

I left it the same and it is cutting like a champ. I would leave it alone, unless your preference is for a different angle. The angle that came from the factory was pretty close to what I normally sharpen at for a gyuto anyway.

I'd suggest you leave it as is unless you thought it wasn't performing up to par. I generally thin my edges down overtime until they fail under normal use and then I take a step back.

i sharpen mine at about 8 degree hamaguri with about 12 degree microbevel.

it holds up super well and has improved the edge dramatically in both sharpness as well as retention

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    i sharpen mine at about 8 degree hamaguri with about 12 degree microbevel.

it holds up super well and has improved the edge dramatically in both sharpness as well as retention
    Do u have a close-up pic?

my good camera away atm but what are you asking for?? do you want to see the bevel size or something that can be shown with the camera on my phone?? if not ill have my camera back in like a week and can snap off a few good ones for you.

another reason i dont like too high angles (smaller bevels) is i use a blue aoto 2k and its very soft. sometimes it feels like its going to dig in the stone if there is too high of an angle. i always sharpen at a maximum of 20 degrees on any knife whether its german or japanese.

I've been maintaining the bevel size/angle on the kono, and it's been a fantastic gyuto!
    Literally zero complaints with the performance.
    I'm sure I'll get even lower with it, over time, but why mess with a great thing?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    my good camera away atm but what are you asking for?? do you want to see the bevel size or something that can be shown with the camera on my phone?? if not ill have my camera back in like a week and can snap off a few good ones for you.

another reason i dont like too high angles (smaller bevels) is i use a blue aoto 2k and its very soft. sometimes it feels like its going to dig in the stone if there is too high of an angle. i always sharpen at a maximum of 20 degrees on any knife whether its german or japanese.
    Not looking to see anything in particular. I'm just new to sharpening so wanted to see a visual to attach to what you wrote. Whenever you have time would be great! Unless of course you tell me there isn't really anything to see that looks different from normal then you can forget it.

the first is obviously the whole knife, bevel side.
    the second and third are closer pics of the bevel side.
    the fourth is non-bevel side.

i work a very small angled bevel on the bevel side and using the finest stone i have, strop the back side to reset the burr.

if you would like any other pictures or have other questions let me know

Just don't do this to your knife, like someone did to their Masamoto gyuto.