Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any point setting new bevel - Kono HD gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by jwpark View Post
    Just don't do this to your knife, like someone did to their Masamoto gyuto.

Why not? The execution might not have been great (bevel doesn't look very even), but I see nothing wrong with 99/1 sharpening of a gyuto. Am I missing something in that picture?

Really? The knife certainly looks strange, but that might be the picture. It doesn't even really look like a gyuto from the thickness/taper from spine to edge, and certainly seems thicker than what I've heard about the Masamatos - never played with one in person. I know they aren't Konosuke thin, but I thought they had better geometry than what that picture indicates.

some of the masamoto western knives are on the chunkier side... not bad knives by any means, but on the chunkier side for sure

Hah, I always forget about Masamato's western knives. I don't really have any interested in western styled knives anymore, so when someone says Masamato, I automatically think KS. How would you go about fixing the above blade? Thin the outside of the blade till the height of that bevel that is already there reduces to 1-2 mm or so?

The knife is the picture is a Masamoto KS Wa gyuto I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    too thick behind the edge
    yep. that would drive me crazy. nothing wrong with a 99/1 gyuto, but the geometry of the blade either has to suit it or has to be modified to do so. i probably would have taken that bevel twice the height. then again, i have usubas, so i likely wouldn't have bothered.

That Masamoto KS looks like it's the result of a pro chef sharpening his knife 99/1 every night, turning what was a sublime gyuto into a thick edged suji.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    That Masamoto KS looks like it's the result of a pro chef sharpening his knife 99/1 every night, turning what was a sublime gyuto into a thick edged suji.
    oh come now, it could very well have been the result of an amateur chef doing the same thing. the knife is fixable, and likely cuts just fine the way it is, honestly. i sharpen knives for friends, some of whom are keen gourmands (much like i am), and i doubt they can discern levels of cutting beyond really good. knives that i think vibrate too much are declared light sabres. that knife may very well do initial cuts very well, though i bet it vibrates.

i actually had a problem with my konosuke being too thick behind the edge. i wasn't quite sure that was the problem but after i talked to jon we figured it out. after evening it out it performed much better.

im a big fan of thinning behind the edge and that masamoto would kill me.