Experimental New Wood - Stabilized Blue, Brown, Black & Orange Curly Maple

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
These blocks were an experiment that I think turned out pretty good.
I had cut up some really nice curly maple that was sort of a blonde color. The figure was really nice but the coloring was not very dramatic. I decided to try some different colors and have them dyed and stabilized by K&G. Everything else they have done for me has turned out really good so I figured I was pretty safe with these.

The photo shows a blonde color block in the center. That is how this wood looked before being dyed.

Click on the photo to go to our webstore where some of these blocks are available for sale.

What do you think?
Do they look OK?

I think the woods look great, particularly the orange and brown stained pieces :)

I think the woods look great, particularly the orange and brown stained pieces :)

These have been dyed in a vacuum / pressure tank so the color goes all the way through the block.
Portions of the wood will resist the dye giving a random more natural look to the un-natural coloring.
It is tough to see in the photos but the figure in the wood has a metallic flash that makes the colors change a bit as the piece is moved around.

I also had some sycamore dyed.
I am cutting scales and getting them sanded now.

bbb005.jpg

When I told my boss I was going to have maple burl dyed blue he thought I was crazy.
What do you think?....................too much blue?

bbb001.jpg

SWEET! love that 3D look. I love flashy handles for my vanity, oops I meant culinary presentations :D

Verrry funky. Hmmm... which of my knives would suit such a bold color & pattern, though?

Wow, I really like the sycamore. Cool patterns.

And maple burls come out the best when dyed! Get all the blues and purples and then the eyes hardly change at all. More dyed maple burls please.

I think you need to get some of those in the webstore so i can buy them :) Love the blue maple....awesome!

I also had some sycamore dyed.
I am cutting scales and getting them sanded now.

bbb005.jpg

When I told my boss I was going to have maple burl dyed blue he thought I was crazy.
What do you think?....................too much blue?

bbb001.jpg
. Umm dibs! Can I call dibs on the blue one? Pm me for details?

Latest posts

Back