Quantcast
What size saucepan can't you live without?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What size saucepan can't you live without?

What size saucepan can't you live without?

Hey all,

So I'm looking at a new saucepan. What size can y'all not live without or use the most often? I'm torn between 1 qt and 3 qt. I gotta piece it together for the time being and I'm having a hard time choosing! Gotta save money for a knife after all...

Thanks!

Gavin.

How many people? I use my 3 qt 3:1 at the very least over my smaller one. However, they are both good to have around. I cook for 2 usually and I make all my weekday lunches on the weekend so the 3 qt would pull that duty here.

Oops forgot. Just for home cooking. Two to six people usually.

I feel the same way. Three quart basically seems indispensable. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything that I should consider.

Something in the range of 3qt-4qt would be the most useful for two to six people. I happen to own both a 3.2qt and 1.6qt saucepan (also a 2.6qt Sauteuse, but that is a different story). Between the two I use the 3.2qt more often,but both are very much needed IMO. Remember it's easier to use a large pan to do a small job than using a small pan for a large job.

Edit: your choice should also be based on what you already own. Are you looking to fill in holes with you equipment or replace an existing piece?

Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    Something in the range of 3qt-4qt would be the most useful for two to six people. I happen to own both a 3.2qt and 1.6qt saucepan (also a 2.6qt Sauteuse, but that is a different story). Between the two I use the 3.2qt more often,but both are very much needed IMO. Remember it's easier to use a large pan to do a small job than using a small pan for a large job.

Edit: your choice should also be based on what you already own. Are you looking to fill in holes with you equipment or replace an existing piece?
    I'm looking to replace my 3-qt with a much nicer one, but don't have a 1-qt. I've just always used my 2-qt for that. Debating how much I need a 1-qt compared to getting a very nice 3-qt.

My gut told me 3.2!

Keep in mind for what most people use a saucepan for (reheating) there is no real reason to spend $$$ on one. I bought Demeyere Atlantis so I did not follow my own advice. But you might want to keep using your 3qt pan or replace it with a lower cost pan. It makes more sense to spend more money on a smaller saucepan (or sauteuse/saucier) assuming you would use it to make delicate sauces.

You are best to focus your budget on pieces that will benefit from the higher cost pieces (fry pans, sautÚ pans, sauce making pans, etc). Like I said your standard saucepan just doesn't have high demands placed on it that justify the higher cost pieces.

At work I couldn't live without my 3 litre saucepan. It gets used almost constantly.

Yea, 3L/3.2-qt get so much use. Hence me wanting to get a nice one.

Bk, funny. I'm actually extremely tempted to get the Atlantis one myself! Especially because their in store stock is on sale right now at SLT!

What are your thoughts on a sautÚ pan? Stainless? Copper? I was eyeing the Proline 12.6" sautÚ as well. Heavy brute that it is. Too much beast for home use?

There are a lot of great pans on the market. I have a plethora of all clad, falk, debyuer... However, my tri-ply tramontina from Wally World still get the most use. And for the price, tryllu unbeatable

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...Steel/22984414

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...Steel/23000704
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by gavination View Post
    What are your thoughts on a sautÚ pan? Stainless? Copper? I was eyeing the Proline 12.6" sautÚ as well. Heavy brute that it is. Too much beast for home use?
    I don't use copper because my cooktop is induction and there is only one line of copper that works on standard induction (de Buyer), but if you got the proper thickness (2.5mm+) and a gas cooktop it work make an excellent choice. The 12.6" (32cm) by Demeyere is a fry pan not a sautÚ. The sautÚ is 11" (28cm) and I own this very one.

Keep in mind a 11" sautÚ has more flat cooking space than a 12.6" fry pan. I myself prefer a 11" fry pan and find the 12.6" a little to large for most of my needs.

You should always try and match the bottom diameter of your pots/pans to the size of your hob. 11" sautÚ pan is the max for most home cooktops.