Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: New Classic Albums post 1995

  1. #31
    Senior Member tkern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    639
    Andrew Bird- Weather Systems
    Metallica- Load

  2. #32
    Senior Member erikz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    725
    The Verve - Urban Hymns

    As an album its one of the best for me. Songs fit together very well.

    Pearl Jam - Ten (1991... I know... sorry)

    Even Flow, Once, Jeremy, Alive, Black... album filled with epic grunge songs.

    Anything by Lagwagon or NOFX, like all their stuff without exceptions.

  3. #33
    Senior Member tkern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    The Verve - Urban Hymns

    As an album its one of the best for me. Songs fit together very well.

    Pearl Jam - Ten (1991... I know... sorry)

    Even Flow, Once, Jeremy, Alive, Black... album filled with epic grunge songs.

    Anything by Lagwagon or NOFX, like all their stuff without exceptions.
    Post grunge. Thats the point. All the albums from that time were awesome. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.
    There seems to be this black hole of music from the mid 90's on that a lot of people don't consider great music aside from random conversations like "Oh yeah, I remember that Garbage album; used to listen to it a lot when I was a teenager". I started this thread when I saw someone comment on a Fear Factory album on youtube saying it was a great album when they were a teenager and now that they are 30 it still stands up.

  4. #34
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,346
    Most mainstream bands in the late 90s were too busy mimicking sucessful bands of the early 90s, thats why barely anything stands out from that era. Basically the approach was to borrow eddies/cobains/stone temple pilots voice and sound but to replace thoughtful lyrics with lovey dovy i miss you baby top 40 dribble. And so it goes....

  5. #35
    Senior Member tkern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Most mainstream bands in the late 90s were too busy mimicking sucessful bands of the early 90s, thats why barely anything stands out from that era. Basically the approach was to borrow eddies/cobains/stone temple pilots voice and sound but to replace thoughtful lyrics with lovey dovy i miss you baby top 40 dribble. And so it goes....
    I agree, thats what I want to get away from. So what are the bands that didn't do that? 30 yrs later when someone looks back and says "That was a great album from the 90's" What is that album?
    What musicians really took the step forward to make something amazing?

  6. #36
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,346
    Well im not really into tool, but they've always done theyre own thing regardless of the times/trends. So i think aenima would qualify.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    244
    Drop kick Murphy's Do or die
    Keep your love outta my sauce.

  8. #38
    Senior Member orangehero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    124
    A Perfect Circle?

  9. #39
    Senior Member erikz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Post grunge. Thats the point. All the albums from that time were awesome. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.
    There seems to be this black hole of music from the mid 90's on that a lot of people don't consider great music aside from random conversations like "Oh yeah, I remember that Garbage album; used to listen to it a lot when I was a teenager". I started this thread when I saw someone comment on a Fear Factory album on youtube saying it was a great album when they were a teenager and now that they are 30 it still stands up.
    You're right...

    The Lagwagon, NOFX and Verve albums still stand nonetheless.

    I'd also want to add a few albums I listened to a lot in the 90's/early 00's:
    Korn - Follow The Leader
    Deftones - Around the Fur
    Deftones - White Pony
    Me First And The Gimme Gimmes (anything)


    Going to see the Gimmes later this month in Amsterdam. Pretty stoked.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    I agree, thats what I want to get away from. So what are the bands that didn't do that? 30 yrs later when someone looks back and says "That was a great album from the 90's" What is that album?
    What musicians really took the step forward to make something amazing?
    Goo Goo Dolls, Dizzy Up The Girl 1998 I think. Iris, black balloon, slide etc. They are my all time favorite band so I could be bias but they weren't like Nirvana, Pearl Jam or any of the others and are still going strong today.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •