Sitram pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a second large sauté pan (I have a Sur La Table triply which I like fine, but I don't love it), and the Sitram Catering pans are in a price range that appeals to me very much. However, I've never been a big fan of pans with this kind of construction, as opposed to fully clad pans (or copper pans), because of the tendency for hot spots to form. Do Sitram pans have a tendency to form hot spots, or do they have a large enough bottom layer to prevent it? I use a gas range, if that matters.

This is one of the best lines out when it comes to bang for the buck. The Catering line has a large enough copper disc to provide even heating. This line is also used by many restaurants in Europe. Disc bottom cookware is actually preferred for straight sided pans like saucepans, stock pots, sauté pans).

Whenever you are cooking anything in a pot that comprises liquid thin enough to support convection currents within the liquid, by far the most efficient method to get heat from the cooktop to the top of the pot is convection inside the pot. In that kid of cooking, conduction up the outside of the pot never gets out of the starting blocks for conveying heat to the top of the liquid inside of the pot. And the heat that IS conducted up the sides of the pot has been stolen from the bottom of the pot where it otherwise could have gone to heating up the liquid inside the pot more quickly.

When convection inside of a pot is doing its job to make the contents of the pot heat up, then a conductive sidewall's main function is to steal heat out of the liquid -- which is warmer than the air outside of the pot -- and to convey that heat to the outside of the pot (as in a classic steam heat radiator) to warm the room. You would be better off with a fully insulating sidewall, in such instances, to keep the heat inside the pot where it can do some cooking.

I know the theory, and the problem I've had with hotspots has always been with thicker liquids, but it sounds like the Catering line shouldn't have that problem. Thanks!

I've used them in a pro setting, and the only complaint I have had is that after the 1000th or so time they get roughed up the handle falls off. This would never happen at home. The heat very evenly, do not warp even when shoved into a 800+ degree wood oven, and do not react to anything, your a la minute butter sauces don't turn grey.

I just thought about this. The handles also trap water which can turn to hot steam, if you are washing it and immediately using it again.

I'll try to only rough them up 999 times, then. Thanks for the info! I definitely see a Catering sauté pan in my immediate future. Are these fairly standard diameter, lid wise, or will I need to get a Sitram lid? I have a lot of lids...

I just thought about this. The handles also trap water which can turn to hot steam, if you are washing it and immediately using it again.

I rarely do this, but thanks for mentioning it.

Are these fairly standard diameter, lid wise, or will I need to get a Sitram lid? I have a lot of lids...

In my experience, lids from European makers/designers are interchangeable for the same cm size.

Cool, then I have at least one lid that will fit the 4.9 qt sauté.

Back