Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days

I like that attitude, actually
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Well, to a point.
    Sometimes we get too hung up on numbers and steel types, etc here. It's part of the fun for us, but I can see where Murray is coming from.
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Well, to a point.
    Sometimes we get too hung up on numbers and steel types, etc here. It's part of the fun for us, but I can see where Murray is coming from.
    That is true. I don't get too hung up on that stuff either. But I like when I accidentally ask someone at a kitchen store what the hardness of a knife steel is. The look they give me is priceless -- then I realize I am either a nerd or a douche bag.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    But I like when I accidentally ask someone at a kitchen store what the hardness of a knife steel is.
    "Umm, pretty hard. It is made of steel after all."
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Leeks are a-holes, and notorious for this...sorry about your luck, but I'm glad you're liking the knife!
    Hey, no flaming my favorite vegetable! But you are right, before I have them cleaned, I only use my Global utility on them. Once they are washed, I'll get out a real knife... Sorry to hear about the chip!

Stefan

I once found a number of tiny chips in a new Carter knife I was using and complained to Murray about it. He simply sharpened them out and gave me the knife back. As I understood it, he considered a few small chips in the edge normal until you had broken a new blade in with a few trips to the waterstone.
    Last edited by Noodle Soup; 06-19-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: not happy with my writing

That sounds reminiscent of VG10. I have a tiny tiny chip in my edge, but it isn't affecting cutting ability, so I'll just get it out next time, on the stones. For mine, I'm not surprised. I've used it HARD since the day I bought it, basically.
    09/06

A lot of knives are chippy before you sharpen them. My Heiji gyuto chipped a bit before I sharpened it the first time. I was curious to see how it cut out of the box. It performed well but the "stock" edge was a bit weak. Sharpened it from 1k up and its never had those problems since.

I'm still curious to see how big this chip is.

Chipping has to do with a heat treatment (blades in over 63RC hardness will be more brittle) and edge stability of a steel.

Traditional Japanese smiths (and Carter claims to be one) rely on eye to determine temperature of a heated metal (by color) before quenching. I would bet if you test for hardness a batch of knives from the same smith, you will find some variation in hardness.

My guess, many of these knives are over-hardened (not drawn to RC where they are more stable) and brittle at the edge, so a micro bevel or a less acute angle is required.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I think it's safe to say he is an unconventional Traditional Japanese smith.
    I would think the edge and anywhere that is thinner on a knife would be hardened more than a thicker portion, based on heat transfer, so yeah, that makes sense.
    09/06