Quantcast
Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I think it's safe to say he is an unconventional Traditional Japanese smith.
    I would think the edge and anywhere that is thinner on a knife would be hardened more than a thicker portion, based on heat transfer, so yeah, that makes sense.
    I don't know if he water or oil quenches his blades, but I am pretty sure his HT is traditional (without using modern equipment) and without steel preparation and additional treatment that many Western makers do. He still manages to make decent knives and has quite a following. Cudos to him.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    My guess, many of these knives are over-hardened (not drawn to RC where they are more stable) and brittle at the edge, so a micro bevel or a less acute angle is required.

M
    Before I used the knife, I examined it under magnification and there was a micro-bevel near the heal and towards the tip, but there was no micro-bevel in the belly. Also, the chip occurred where the laminate steel came all the way down to the edge (on one side), so I am wondering if the core steel was thinner in that area.

Sorry for the bad photo, but my good camera is my napping daughter's room.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

That ain't nothing. That's just a micro-chip. That's 10 minute on a Beston at most, and if you are MC, 5 minutes on a King 1K.

I thought you were talking more like this.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Yeah, it's not that big. Like I said, the worst thing was that it kept snagging the wiping cloth. I'm just going to sharpen it like it wasn't there and let it come out on its own. I took a sushi course last weekend and you should have seen the chip on the instructor's suisin. He said he has been working it out for a couple years.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Drinky, strop it on a Finishing type of stone to lose the grabbiness of the chip. Should be all good after that.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Rockbox, you'd better just send that to me and I'll make sure nobody gets hurt!
    09/06

That ain't mine. I haven't had a chip in over 3 years. I've noticed that if you sharpen your knife before you use it, chipping becomes a non issue. Sometimes I wish I had more chips because I have an addiction to power tools. When I was at Devins, I was thinking to myself, how would I get a power hammer and surface grinder into my 2 car garage and not piss off the HOA.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Say they're for your service dog?
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I think it's safe to say he is an unconventional Traditional Japanese smith.
    I would think the edge and anywhere that is thinner on a knife would be hardened more than a thicker portion, based on heat transfer, so yeah, that makes sense.
    Murray heat treats before grinding, the thickness of the steel is the same. A customer examined the hardness on his neck knife and reported back that the finds from two areas on his knife were 63.6 and 63.3.

Murray heat treats in water.

Thanks for the info.
    I figured he'd grind to 60% (or so) and HT, then finish grind. He must blow through belts!
    It is a good way to keep warpage down (right Pierre and Butch?) and keep your hardness consistent.
    09/06

+ Reply to Thread