Quantcast
Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days

Chipped My Carter in Only 4 Days

So I got my 205mm Carter funayuki this week. At first the light weight (119g) threw me off, but I must admit that the light weight has grown on me a bit since then. I also like the short size. Since having a newborn in the house and doing the stay-at-home Dad thing, I find myself reaching for smaller knives these days. I'm not sure why, but it happens.

The knife was blistering sharp out of the box and could easily slice a dropped piece of thin advertisement paper in its descent. (Note: I did not take my clothes off to do this as Salty did.)

The contrast between the laminate/cladding and core steel is cool. The toothy patina edge looks similar to my hiro but a bit better.

So back to the chip.

I am making some stock for a carrot and mint risotto, and to make the stock I am chopping up a leek. So I slice the end of the dark stuff off and hit stone. Chip.

It isn't a bad chip, but a chip nonetheless. The worst thing was that it kept grabbing the cloth when I wiped the blade down. So after only a handful of hours of use, I chipped my Father's day gift. Oh well.

Strange thing is that it didn't bother me in the least bit. I guess I am just going to have to use the chip as an excuse to buy another knife

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Dibs on the chipped knife at the buy and sell forums

It always sucks to chip a knife. Especially a new one. Waaay back in the day when I got my first J knife ( a Shun classic 10"), I was prepping at work and there was like a staple or something in the cutting board that I didn't see and I put like 3 sizable chips in the edge. It was only like the second or third day of owning it. This was back when I was a rock chopper so it took a couple of cuts before I realized something was wrong...

How bad is the chip? Can you take a pic of it?

Don't you have a new kick a sharpening station? No big deal, break out the stones, you know you want too.

What's the hardness rating on that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Don't you have a new kick a sharpening station? No big deal, break out the stones, you know you want too.
    Yeah, I do have the new sharpening station and that is probably why I didn't care as much. I repaired smaller chips on a shun and tosagata nakiri the other night. I had a beer and some knives, and when I looked up it was 3 am. My knives were sharper though.

I'll see if I can take a picture.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Leeks are a-holes, and notorious for this...sorry about your luck, but I'm glad you're liking the knife!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Note to self, don't use Shig on leeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    What's the hardness rating on that thing?
    I'm not sure about the hardness. This is a quote from his FAQ page:

"The knives should come in around HRC 63-64 after I heat them in a pine charcoal fire, quench them in water, then temper them over the open flames of the forge. I use no modern measuring device for temperature, etc. It is all done by eye and experience (and a silent prayer never hurts, either). I can only guess as to the HRC of each blade as they are all heat treated one at a time, by hand, without the aid of any modern devices."

With that said, couldn't he have bought one of Marko's two hardness testers? I find it a bit hard to believe that he doesn't know.

k.

MC just doesn't care. In his eyes, his knives perform, so it doesn't matter what the hardness is. Its just a number to him.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread