Damascus spoon question.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumblinman

Reaction score
I just got a Damascus spoon off eBay from Cyprus. It was an impulse buy and cheap. Quality is ok I'm not disappointed because of the price at all. They claim their knives are 1095 and 12n... I've read Randy's and others warnings about unknown makers so question is... I washed it, looked it over and licked it. Lol. I might as well have licked a guardrail. Is that normal? Does it need a patina? Is this just a cool decoration I should never eat from and now have heavy metal poisoning?

I just got a Damascus spoon off eBay from Cyprus. It was an impulse buy and cheap. Quality is ok I'm not disappointed because of the price at all. They claim their knives are 1095 and 12n... I've read Randy's and others warnings about unknown makers so question is... I washed it, looked it over and licked it. Lol. I might as well have licked a guardrail. Is that normal? Does it need a patina? Is this just a cool decoration I should never eat from and now have heavy metal poisoning?

Yep... You're gonna die! Time to put your knife collection up for grabs...

I think this is one of the reasons DT and Del make their damascus spoons from stainless steel. A patina should help a lot (although it may obscure the Damascus design). it's just like how many carbon knives smell a bit initially, but probably seems a lot stronger because your mouth is in direct contact. I would definitely stick with ss for Damascus spoons whenever possible.

So I did a little researching on cutlery and spoons.... There's a reason they're made in silver and such. So they will be some cool looking key rings :). Maybe a slot cut for bottle opening.

I actually bought a couple of these too. They sent me a small knife as well. I turned it into a bottle opener...lol

opener.jpg

Back