Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: any problems using unstabilized Cocobolo and Sonokeling

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    348

    any problems using unstabilized Cocobolo and Sonokeling

    I picked up a block of Cocobolo and Sonokeling to do a Wa handle, any issues using these unstabilized? I believe they are both classed as proper hard woods so should be ok?

  2. #2
    WillC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    herefordshire uk
    Posts
    1,633
    Cocobolo is one that is usually very stable and not requiring stabilising. A serious advantage to stabilised wood is it does not require coats and coats of oil to get a lasting finish, cocobolo though, is very low maintenance in its natural state I have found, as its very dense and oily, probably not the right word, but seems to have natural oils and won't need to soak up a load of finishing oil.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Cocobolo is one that is usually very stable and not requiring stabilising. A serious advantage to stabilised wood is it does not require coats and coats of oil to get a lasting finish, cocobolo though, is very low maintenance in its natural state I have found, as its very dense and oily, probably not the right word, but seems to have natural oils and won't need to soak up a load of finishing oil.
    Thanks Will, well it will be my first handle so I guess I will have more to worry about than just the wood anyway

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    902
    Warren, just remember that cocobolo is pretty allergic for many people. Make sure you are well protected from dust (both eyes and airways).
    I like Cocobolo because it's not prone to cracking, pretty easy to polish and shape.

    I'd also recommend having a look here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...luing-cocobolo and repeat about grain filling by Mark and Mikey here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...light=Cocobolo

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Warren, just remember that cocobolo is pretty allergic for many people. Make sure you are well protected from dust (both eyes and airways).
    I like Cocobolo because it's not prone to cracking, pretty easy to polish and shape.

    I'd also recommend having a look here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...luing-cocobolo and repeat about grain filling by Mark and Mikey here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...light=Cocobolo
    Thanks for the links, got a good respirator/mask that I use for work, will make sure I have the correct type of filters installed before I go anywhere near the Cocobolo then

  6. #6
    You might want to use gloves too. I've heard that some people can get skin rashes from Cocobolo.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    You might want to use gloves too. I've heard that some people can get skin rashes from Cocobolo.
    Thanks for the info, hate working with gloves on but better than a rash though

  8. #8
    The warnings about working with cocobolo are all valid but don't let them scare you. The two key words are "some people". I've personally never had any problem working with it.

    Be well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    The warnings about working with cocobolo are all valid but don't let them scare you. The two key words are "some people". I've personally never had any problem working with it.

    Be well,
    Mikey
    Well I can never recall having a reaction to anything in my life(cue the rash from the cocobolo) I always use a good quality mask/respirator when sanding, think it comes out of habit from work when I sand walls, doors, windows etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •