Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives I would like to make

Knives I would like to make

So, I am making a list of knives I am interested in making. Most of these types I would like to own and use myself.
    Let me know what you think and if you have some other suggestions, I would love to hear it.

180mm Gyuto - done except for handle
    140mm Honesuki/Utility single-beveled - done except for handle
    240mm Sujihiki - heat treated
    240mm Yanagi - thinking about it
    210mm Miroshi Deba - thinking about it
    225mm Gyuto (on the edge, 240mm handle to tip) - will take what I have learned from 180mm, and apply to 240mm. Haven't made plans when to start
    225 Kiritsuke shape gyuto (on the edge, 240mm handle to tip) - same as above
    150mm Sabaki - single-beveled
    135mm Mukimono - single beveled
    225mm - 270mm Gyuto/Suji with Western Handle - need to learn how to make Western handles first
    270mm Kensaki Yanagi

PS: I haven't sharpened single beveled knives for some time now, so I am getting a kick from hamaguriba edge. I got to admit that recent Carter's video on how to sharpen convex edges was very helpful.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I would love to see the honesuki. Are you going to do the kiritsuke/gyuotu single bevel? You should definitely make the mukimono, not enough people make them! Post some pics of the finished work!

Here is a modified Honesuki. I made some changes to the grind based on my personal preferences. You can read about it in an earlier post within the same thread.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...st-Knife/page7

I will make a yanagi with a kensaki tip before making a kiritsuke (single-bevel). I tried kirtsuke once and found it too difficult to master, to use effectively. I would't make one for myself, but would make one if commissioned.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

A super thin Sabaki would be sweet.

Yes, I always wanted a thin sabaki ever since I have learned about this type (thanks zknives!). I also like a slicer with that tip, not sure if should stick with a single bevel or make it a double-bevel.

M

Very cool! I would love to try the honesuki when done, looks nice

Now I had to look up what a sabaki is... Nice knife. But I am pretty much knifed out for now, no big urges to buy anything, maybe a 330 yanagi at some time. That said, your narrowed honesuki is the first knife that really caught my attention in a while. Looks like you have a nice to-do list for the near future.

Stefan

I think a 225mm Gyuto is a good idea. I'm not sure the world needs any more 240mm Gyutos, and there are already quite a few in the pipeline . . .

Any interest in a 210-225mm edge length wa-suji with a ~40mm tall heel? Stainless or semi makes for a great pro "line knife" to use during service to slice proteins, quick prep, etc.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Any interest in a 210-225mm edge length wa-suji with a ~40mm tall heel? Stainless or semi makes for a great pro "line knife" to use during service to slice proteins, quick prep, etc.
    Even better.