Saya Wood - Tiger Maple?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to judge interest and determine how much of this tiger maple should be cut up into kitchen knife, saya making wood. If you would want to get some of this wood cut into saya material please make a post in this thread. Your post is not a commitment to buy, but a list of who I should send PMs to when I have some ready for purchase.

I bought a bunch of flat sawn Tiger Maple just recently.
These are kiln dried boards that the mill considers shorts because they were all under 4 foot long.
To furniture builders most of this would be considered top grade curly maple.
But to me only about 20% of the wood makes the grade for highly figured handle material.

I am going to take a portion of this and cut into saya making materials.
It will be book matched pairs with 12" x 3" x 1/4" as my target dimensions for each piece. There will be 2 pieces this size for each set. Price per set will be around $30 to $40 per set depending on the figure.

I thought that being flat sawn, it would be easier to carve the blade cavity with chisels.
Plus since this curly maple is flat sawn, the figure looks more like narrow v shape (tiger stripe) figure..

The photo barely shows the figure. This is how the boards look straight from the mill. When I get some cut and sanded I will post more photos.
sw001_zps22bddf1a.jpg

This is the first set I cut with medium-ish quality figure. The saya on the right is a cheap store bought saya. It is in the photo to show non kitchen knife people what I am talking about. I am going to go ahead and cut several sets of this wood. Worst case I will finally make sayas for all my knives.
003_zpsa5c8694b.jpg

those would make for some beautiful sayas. i have one that marko made that is similar wood and i love it.

To my eye this wood looks really nice Mark. So I see a VERY little probability for you to have sayas for all your knives ;)

The man not to be named has been putting these on his own knives if you take a gander over there

I have cut and sanded 20 sets so far. Mostly Maple and Redwood.
Next I will be getting everything photographed and posted in our web store.
001_zpsf311655c.jpg

These sets will be added to the web store on Monday Afternoon. You can barely see the figure because all I have done is drum sand them to 60 grit. The figure with curly woods starts to show itself after 220 grit and gets bolder the finer you sand it. I would suggest a minimum of 600 grit before you apply a finish.
Maple
2_zps33ca20cd.jpg

Redwood
1_zps287033f2.jpg

do you have anything that could make a saya for a 360mm suji?

There are still 2 maple and 7 redwood sets available.
For those of you who got a set or 3, Thank You.

All the saya wood that was ordered was shipped priority mail today.
Thanks everyone.

For the rest of you there is still some left in the web store.
Here is a link

Back