Old Ontario with birds head handle grind ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumblinman

Reaction score
I recently liberated an 8 inch Ontario blade and it has a curious grind. It's the birds head handle not the hickory one. One side has almost a gradual taper to the edge I say almost cause there is a second bevel but the other side has a distinctive second bevel at a harder angle. Is this normal for them? Or is this just an off blade? I don't see any signs of reworking unless it was done many many years ago.

Is this from the same factory/producer as Old Hickory?

Yeah I'm gonna take a stab at restoring. I can find pics of the birds head online but they all say old hickory. This one may have been refurbished once before. The handle is nice but needs replacing because of corrosion. I keep looking at it and it may be zebra wood.

The tang stops at the last pin and comes through on top and bottom.

Yeah I'm gonna take a stab at restoring. I can find pics of the birds head online but they all say old hickory. This one may have been refurbished once before. The handle is nice but needs replacing because of corrosion. I keep looking at it and it may be zebra wood.

The tang stops at the last pin and comes through on top and bottom.

I have one of these as well, old hickory branded.

Well cleaned up the handle and I'm convinced its renamed led zebra wood. The green quit coming out so maybe keeping it for a while. Brought down the spine for the tip and brought up the heel so steeling prob is mostly gone. Profile isn't too bad now, looks like a decent line knife. 40mm at heel. And I'm pretty sure it had right hand us because the handle has the right side rounded and feels good righty. I'm kinda concerned about the right side being ground down and steering cause it looks like maybe 80/20 but geometry is off by that..

Latest posts

Back