Can carbon knife keep in the knife stand with the water?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunti01

Reaction score
When I finish each task, can I keep my carbon knife in the knife stand with the water?
I work in the hotel that have the knife stand with the water for keep the knife. They don't have the knife stand without the water.

Will my knife get rust?

sunti01
Yes, not only rust but also dull quickly. For instance you'll do a task and then you put the knife in the bucket with water, point side down. Now you are starting to mash the tip. Also in the bucket you tend to keep rubber scrapers, plating spoons, they all tend to mash into each other. Now you are dulling you knife! Try to keep the knife out of the water and on the board. Put some vegetable oil or whenever oil you have behind the line on a side towel, wipe the knife after each task (or when possible) and it should keep the rust down. It's also a good idea to get a patina on the knife, this also keeps it from rusting. You can do this by putting some mustard on it was a little vinegar to make it more spreadable. Leave it on for 10- 15 minutes. Then rinse with cold water. Repeat this until a blue patina appears on your knife. Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
sunti01
Yes, not only rust but also dull quickly. For instance you'll do a task and then you put the knife in the bucket with water, point side down. Now you are starting to mash the tip. Also in the bucket you tend to keep rubber scrapers, plating spoons, they all tend to mash into each other. Now you are dulling you knife! Try to keep the knife out of the water and on the board. Put some vegetable oil or whenever oil you have behind the line on a side towel, wipe the knife after each task (or when possible) and it should keep the rust down. It's also a good idea to get a patina on the knife, this also keeps it from rusting. You can do this by putting some mustard on it was a little vinegar to make it more spreadable. Leave it on for 10- 15 minutes. Then rinse with cold water. Repeat this until a blue patina appears on your knife. Hope this helps, good luck!

I think the knife put in the bucket with water not face the air(oxygen) maybe it doesn't get rust . I am not sure.

((( Oxidation is the interaction between oxygen molecules and other substances. )))

Your logic is flawed.

I'd get a stainless knife if you plan on keeping it in there.

The only knife I would recommend keeping in a bucket of water with other tools (i.e tongs, spatula, spoons) in it would be the cheapest stainless blade you have. That way you don't have to worry about rust or damaging a good blade, It will get scratched up and get dull with other tools being tossed in there.

Actually your both right! for 1 shift the blade that's under water will be ok but the part that's half way out get slightly rusted. If you submerge the blade the tang will eventually rust beneath the handle. also the wood on handle eventually is destroyed. I think your move is to get a stainless knife like, timthebeaver stated, possible a forschner 8" and sharpen it before every shift. There ok for basic line work but if your doing really upscale service fanning out paper thin duck breast, or stuffed chicken breast slices thin on bais etc. Your going to have to up your game!

Last edited:
I assume you are using regular tap water. Normally there is oxygen dissolved in the water. So the iron will not be protected from rusting when it is in water.

Yep. Fish breath oxygen, after all. But I had to google to find out further. I mean, there is oxygen in the air, right? So what does water have to do with the oxidation process? Here's what I found:

Rust is the common name for a very common compound, iron oxide. Iron oxide, the chemical Fe2O3, is common because iron combines very readily with oxygen -- so readily, in fact, that pure iron is only rarely found in nature. Iron (or steel) rusting is an example of corrosion -- an electrochemical process involving an anode (a piece of metal that readily gives up electrons), an electrolyte (a liquid that helps electrons move) and a cathode (a piece of metal that readily accepts electrons). When a piece of metal corrodes, the electrolyte helps provide oxygen to the anode. As oxygen combines with the metal, electrons are liberated. When they flow through the electrolyte to the cathode, the metal of the anode disappears, swept away by the electrical flow or converted into metal cations in a form such as rust.

For iron to become iron oxide, three things are required: iron, water and oxygen. Here's what happens when the three get together:

When a drop of water hits an iron object, two things begin to happen almost immediately. First, the water, a good electrolyte, combines with carbon dioxide in the air to form a weak carbonic acid, an even better electrolyte. As the acid is formed and the iron dissolved, some of the water will begin to break down into its component pieces -- hydrogen and oxygen. The free oxygen and dissolved iron bond into iron oxide, in the process freeing electrons. The electrons liberated from the anode portion of the iron flow to the cathode, which may be a piece of a metal less electrically reactive than iron, or another point on the piece of iron itself.

The chemical compounds found in liquids like acid rain, seawater and the salt-loaded spray from snow-belt roads [EDIT: AND WHATEVER FOOD SCHMUTZ IS IN THAT WATER PAIL, AS WELL] make them better electrolytes than pure water, allowing their presence to speed the process of rusting on iron and other forms of corrosion on other metals.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question445.htm

Used Carbons in Hotels,little extra care.Cutting diff. foods with a carbon blade everyday a patina will begin to form quickly.I let my gyuto's patina.Important at end of shift to wash with soap & warm water.Dry Completely before storing.

If not using blade everyday you can oil it.The danger of rust is when the blade is new & before patina is formed extra care to keep it dry between prep important.If you can putting a damp towel on edge of cutting board to wipe blade on helps.

Is there a reason you store the knife in water and not on a towel next to your cutting board/prep area?

Omg why would you do that to your knife!?!?!?!? Ahhh

Carbon or stainless, this is a bad idea.

I think the knife in the bucket is a terrible idea... possible rust issues, water getting into the handle, banging the tip, banging the edge against your other utensils. They can't force you to do this just put it on a towel next to your board... Extremely bad idea

you may want to look at dexter russell if you intend to leave in water

I had a chef who would throw her knives in the same bucket of water with spoons and spatulas. And would then continue to ask me twice a week to sharpen 3 knives bc "she didn't know why they won't stay sharp?"..

Most likely some corporate fools idea of sanitation....

Maybe in this situation a ceramic like Kyocera would be an option.

I worked for an old school French chef that kept his in a little bucket built into the line. He cut steaks to order and it was real handy until he would need a sharp knife and grab mine then I'd see it in the water knowing the tip was dulled. There's a little spigot built next to it and the bucket has slots in it to drain kinda like a small round sink and the health dept rule is the water must be running a little for sanitation.

Oh I kept mine on the line I'd take a folded towel and put my knife in the middle then fold it over and shove against the little wall I guess you'd call it before the cold side. It worked 2 fold, one it kept my knife dry and outta harms way, 2 no one would touch my towels cause they'd be scared a knife was in it

Back