Jethro Tull and Cutco

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
I attended an outdoor concert yesterday, Jethro Tull doing Aqualung. My BIL attended with a friend of his, and conversation drifted to the knife I was thinking about making for the nephews impending nuptials. The BILs friend mentioned getting his son a set of Cutcos for his wedding and I almost made some embarrassing statements before I realized that he was serious. They had to ban the fellows wife from using the knives as she kept cutting herself with them.
I didn't know what to make of that.

I was scared when I clicked on this thread that Jethro Tull was going to have their own line of Cutcos.

I have an aunt who swears up and down about her cutcos. I dont bother picking the fight during holidays and just let her talk all she wants. It's tough though.

Jethro Tull is amazing and I a wish I was there. Funny coincidence, I was at a free Polyphonic Spree concert last night.

I don't understand the Cutco thing. I believe there is something supreme in knife use, the most important factor in a knife cutting well--and that is that you believe it will cut something. I've used knives on the line and didn't sharpen them for a long time, and when I check the edge in prep for edge maintenance, the edge is gone! Destroyed! I might as well have been cutting with the spine. I've cut surprising things with the edge of a spatula when I was annoyed at work.

Perhaps it is because they cost so much, people are convinced that they are going to be amazing, and suffer observer bias.

I wonder how many people are asking "who is Jethro Tull?"

I saw Jethro Tull in 1971 in Raleigh, NC. Captain Beefheart opened for them. Ex wife uses cutco's.

I noticed Cutco had a booth at the Atlanta Blade show this year. They must be going more main stream. Wonder if they intend to give up the door to door marketing plan?

I bought a used Cutco butcher knife with no serrations at a flea market a few years ago. Something like $2.00 in a junk box. It worked as well as most big box store kitchen knives which is to say OK if you sharpened it when it needed it.

Perhaps it is because they cost so much, people are convinced that they are going to be amazing, and suffer observer bias.

I have noticed this to be generally true on the forum also.:wink:

I don't know who else was bored enough to do this, but I google mapped your coordinates and saw that it almost looked exactly like a town not too far from where I live :)

I grew up on Jeth, Nugent, Airplane, etc. AHH! the good ole days. It's extremely hard not to be biased to some extent, especially about our purchases or people that we had a pleasure in dealing with.

Back