Looking at these 270mm Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneyat

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Mainly slicing vegetables, trimming meats, chopping etc

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Mostly draw and rock

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I not replacing any knife. I am just looking for something in addition to my 8" chefs knives. I have a Mac 8" that I love. But, want something for larger jobs. I am leaning towards getting the Mac 270mm but wanted to look at other options in the same price range. ($200 or so) I've heard very good things about the Kagayaki VG-10 knives as well as the Gekko Knives at JCK. I like the Kagayaki because it is slightly lighter. The Gekko is slightly heavier than the Mac. Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there for thoughts.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Bamboo and rubber

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, with whetstones

Welcome to KKF!

I've had a JCK Kagayaki VG10 (a 240) and it was a nice enough knife, but the bolster wasn't as "finger-friendly" as either the Hiromoto Gingami #3 stainless at JCK or the Gonbei AUS10 at JKI:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Page4.html

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com.../aus-10-series/gonbei-aus-10-270mm-gyuto.html

Although it is not stainless the semi-stainless Kagayaki CarboNext is also a contender. I found it is easier to sharpen then the Kagayaki VG10.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html#CarboNextSeries

Rick

Thanks Pensacola Tiger. The Hiromoto may definitely be an option. The Gonbei is probably a bit heavier and thicker than I prefer. But, probably a very nice knife.

I actually went with the Hiromoto AS 270mm and also picked up the 150mm petty. They both arrived today and I am VERY pleased with the quality out of the box. Now I just need to get some time with them!

I actually went with the Hiromoto AS 270mm and also picked up the 150mm petty. They both arrived today and I am VERY pleased with the quality out of the box. Now I just need to get some time with them!

Glad you're happy with them. Now, when the cladding gets scratched up from normal use, you can send them to Dave for the Spa Treatment.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/11803-Gallery-Hiromoto-AS-Full-Spa-Treatment

P1010009-6.jpg

Recent Hiromotos come much thinner out of the box than previous batches. Nothing wrong with Dave's thinning and etching, far from that, but it's not of the new owner's immediate concern.

Recent Hiromotos come much thinner out of the box than previous batches. Nothing wrong with Dave's thinning and etching, far from that, but it's not of the new owner's immediate concern.

Nothing wrong with showing him his options, either, for when they start looking shopworn.

Former versions tend to thicken very abruptly, with the more recent ones I don't see why that will be necessary with a good sharpening practice.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/5656-Asymmetry-–-The-REAL-DEAL

You keep talking about geometry; I'm talking appearance. The soft stainless of the Hiromoto AS scratches very easily, and in six to ten months they are going to look very well used. The etching that Dave's spa treatment includes produces a very attractive finish that resists scratching well.

How does the etching protects against scratching of the soft stainless clad? That's indeed rather new to me.

It's not so much protection as it is producing a surface that does not show the small scratches that a polished surface does.

Have you had a chance to handle one of Dave's etched Hiromotos?

No, I never had the chance. But just as easy as this soft stainless clad gets scratches, you may remove them if you care about it. Worn sandpaper with some stone mud, not really a problem.

No, I never had the chance. But just as easy as this soft stainless clad gets scratches, you may remove them if you care about it. Worn sandpaper with some stone mud, not really a problem.

But not anywhere near as nice as Dave's etched surface. Personal preference.

No matter, the OP has a good pair of knives to use, which is what's important.

Thanks for the feedback guys. So, yes, I have heard from many that the Hiromoto AS clad does scratch fairly easily. I've spent almost 2 weeks with the knives now and they do have some light scratches here or there. But, I expected that. That said, I had already been talking to Dave about his "spa treatment" which I still may do. I want to spend a little more time with the knives to decide on what I may want him to do. So far, I have been VERY happy with the knives.

I wish they still offered the sujihiki with the AS. But, I could still get a Gin 3 suji.

Congradulations Rodney you got yourself a couple nice knives.I have used the 150 AS petty alot at work,didn't care how the sides looked cuz it was a great workhorse petty.

I put a custom Black Ash burl handle on a 240mm & used it for a while,decided to send it to Dave for spa treatment.I like the way the mist finish looks.I used it as a show knife in my sharpening classes at the culinary school.Let the students cut wt. it with various foods.One teacher managed to slice his finger with the edge Dave put on it.I carry small tube of antibiotic ointment & bandaids in my Knife case.I figured a student might cut themselves with all my sharp knives,but got the teacher instead.

I was kind of afraid to use it because it was so pretty with the spa treatment.Got over that.The thinning job Dave put on it is excellent & the blade cuts very well.

I believe the mist finish will scratch over time as the blade is used alot.But it will not affect cutting,the AS Hiro's are about the superb core steel.

I have heard on several threads that the newer Hiro's are thinner behind the edge if it is true that is good.Five students have ordered Hiro AS gyuto's.

Benuser how is the land of total speed ice skating dominance.Metal sweeps in mens & womens

Congradulations Rodney you got yourself a couple nice knives.I have used the 150 AS petty alot at work,didn't care how the sides looked cuz it was a great workhorse petty.

I put a custom Black Ash burl handle on a 240mm & used it for a while,decided to send it to Dave for spa treatment.I like the way the mist finish looks.I used it as a show knife in my sharpening classes at the culinary school.Let the students cut wt. it with various foods.One teacher managed to slice his finger with the edge Dave put on it.I carry small tube of antibiotic ointment & bandaids in my Knife case.I figured a student might cut themselves with all my sharp knives,but got the teacher instead.

I was kind of afraid to use it because it was so pretty with the spa treatment.Got over that.The thinning job Dave put on it is excellent & the blade cuts very well.

I believe the mist finish will scratch over time as the blade is used alot.But it will not affect cutting,the AS Hiro's are about the superb core steel.

I have heard on several threads that the newer Hiro's are thinner behind the edge if it is true that is good.Five students have ordered Hiro AS gyuto's.

Benuser how is the land of total speed ice skating dominance.Metal sweeps in mens & womens

Last edited:
It looks like the Hiromotos have got much thinner behind the edge. Mine have benefited though from having got polished a few millimeters behind the edge. OOTB they come now with very small bevels of 10 and 15 degree, and relief bevels in the 6 degree range. These relief bevels can use some polishing.

How do you deleat a double thread some how I left the computer came back later & double posted.:O

Back