Straightening a honyaki gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recieved a sakai ichimonji kichukini Gyuto from the BST, the knife was discounted because it has a slight bend in the blade, everything I've read leads me to believe that it's not possible to straighten it without damaging the blade, but has anyone ever had success straightening a honyaki? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I am not sure who can do this in down under ,you may need to send it to Jon . I remember him saying something about fixing a honyaki blade if I am not mistaken , not sure if it had the same problem though

Is it a bend or a slight warp? I've yet to see a thin honyaki gyuto that was perfectly straight, though I'm sure they exist.

I think it can be straightened, there is some risk of the edge cracking if you have to move it too far. It may also need some refinishing. Hopefully Jon will chime in here.

Hoss

honyaki knives carry a great risk of breaking while straightening... its very hard to do well, and even if done well, the knife can still crack. Based on the way it would need to be straightened, the blade would also need to be refinished. I'm not sure i feel comfortable with doing straightening for a knife like that. I can straighten most other things with ease, but honyaki is really tricky.

Back