Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King 800x

King 800x

King 800x

This is the stone that I use as my base for creating a kasumi (mist) finish. This stone gets used on nearly 100% of all wide bevel Japanese clad knives that I sharpen professionally.

This stone produces a matte finish. For rustic kurouchi finished knives this is often the finish level I leave,. For yanagis and other refined finished knives I will follow this stone with either natural stones and/or finger stones.

There is no one answer as to what stones should be used to create that kasumi finish for every knife but you can count on the King 800x to give you a smooth contrasting appearance every time.

Here's a quick comparison of what a King 800x can give to a Moritaka. Both knives were new, the top knife is untouched, the bottom knife has been run across a King 800x.

*Yes the bevel is uneven and not filled in, it needs flattening, but it's the contrast that I'm trying to show here.

A perfect example of a picture, or 2, is worth a thousand words.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I would also like to add that this stone is one of my faves, cuts better than the King 1000 or 1200. I haven't tried it yet for coloring bevels, but it is a mainstay in all my progressions. Really great especially for the money.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and skills Dave!

Is there a wide variation on package design and stone markings for these? I just poked around the bay, and have many that say deluxe but look much different than this in regards to markings/box design. NOS?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

King changes their packaging often enough that I've seen a few in the time I've been in the game.

Look for the size when comparing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    King changes their packaging often enough that I've seen a few in the time I've been in the game.

Look for the size when comparing.
    Gottit, thanks Dave.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Dave I though you gave up sharpening Moritakas?. Seems ironic using them as a example

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here's a quick comparison of what a King 800x can give to a Moritaka. Both knives were new, the top knife is untouched, the bottom knife has been run across a King 800x.

*Yes the bevel is uneven and not filled in, it needs flattening, but it's the contrast that I'm trying to show here.

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Dave I though you gave up sharpening Moritakas?. Seems ironic using them as a example

I sharpen them all of the time. Well to be more precise, I inspect them closely and sharpen only the ones that aren't dicked up which is only 3 out of 10. I do see the irony though.