Do I really need to pay $230 for the Shun Fuji ceramic honing steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokurota

Reaction score
Hi,

For my wife's birthday, I splurged and bought her a Shun Fuji 8.5" Chef's Knife. I loved the way it looked and surprised her with it, and she loves it. I always knew I needed a honing steel, but the saleswoman at Williams Sonoma made it sound like I NEEDED the Shun Fuji Ceramic honing steel, which retails for $229+tax. Ive found ceramic honing steels on amazon for 30 bucks. Is there anything special about the shun fuji one? I would really rather not have to pay ~$250 for it. Thank you in advance for any input/advice.

Idahone Ceramic Rod (12") is the best I have ever used.

Nooooooo. DMT makes as good a ceramic rod as any. Others are good too. Many prefer diamond steel steels to ceramic. Either way, keep $200 in your pocket. (Or spend it on a stone or two to actually sharpen the knife)

IMO stay away from diamond steels. Get a ceramic if you are going to use one. Get an Idahone or mac black...

Ceramic rods are definitely handy to have around. I like the Mac black rod, but Ikea do one for very little, about a tenner over here, that does a decent job

Hell no! For that kind of money you could get several sharpening stones plus a cheap ceramic rod if you're so inclined. I do everything on stones myself

I used to rely on the Mac black before. Worked very well.

Welcome to the forum by the way. You're not going to fine a lot of Shun love here, but I also have the 8.5 chef's knife as well as the slicer and honesuki. All of which I very much enjoy.
Cheers!

Nooooooo. DMT makes as good a ceramic rod as any. Others are good too. Many prefer diamond steel steels to ceramic. Either way, keep $200 in your pocket. (Or spend it on a stone or two to actually sharpen the knife)

I second for DMT. $200 is several times over what a good ceramic rod sells for.

But shun makes there's outta gold and panda fur. Puts an excellent edge on everything!

If you keep yours in your kitchen drawer, check the length. Idahone also makes a 10" version that fits nicely in an in-drawer knife block.

I usually just strop on baby unicorn skin sprayed with Medusa tears. Works for me.

Medusa tears? Dude, that's hard core. Do you have to wear gloves or just give it a couple of weeks for the skin to grow back?:scratchhead:

Don't spend more than 50 bucks on a ceramic rod, I agree to buy stones with the leftover cash

The Shun steels have a angled guard,so if you put the tip on the table you can get the "right angle" to steel your knife.IMO these steels as Dave would say belong in the rubbish can.

I like smooth ceramics better for harder J- Gyuto's.There are good ceramics under 50.00 as mentioned on this thread.I know I sound like a broken record but there is no better way to sharpen a kitchen knife than developing some freehand skills on a whetstone.

A ceramic is good in a pinch when you're working a busy line/prep shift. Strops involve some cleaning/space. But at home? Get/build a strop. Just wrapping a couple layers of newspaper tightly around a 2x4 works.

I'm working on a strop condition lol but for now have a Mac black. Since this has moved to Mac vs idahone, is there a preference? Sorry may be off a little but you have to watch shun steels and ceramics. I know steels are china mass produced and not the same quality. Yes they have that angle deal bit it's right next to the motorized sharpeners that claim the same perfect blah blah.

I used to use the Mac a lot and still have it in my kit. Works great in a pinch and is a great item of "convenience". Since I started using more single beveled stuff I started using a loaded balsa wood strop for the most part. Beyond that I've also brought a Gesshin 6000 sng if anything needs a touch up and a king 1000 for maintenance sharpening.

Back