• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Beginner stone set, 240 gyuto or sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A good friend's son is a cook in Germany, and having known him since he was little (actually, I was at the party when he was conceived... :) ), I think he will be more in the Ramsey camp of wildly swinging his steel around. But I want to make an effort to educate him, so I am looking for a set of a coarser and a finer stone, could also be a combo stone, I guess. There is always the King 1000/6000 combo but I wanted to see if anybody has a decent set of stones that still have some life in them. Maybe a 800/1000 and something around 3000 should do it. Oh, and something to flatten them would also be nice. He is using mostly German knives plus the one I want to give him - which brings me to the second point: I was thinking about giving him a 240 wa gyuto or a 240/270 wa suji - if anybody has an affordable one in presentable shape - lets say under $150 - please let me know. Probably not much out there in that range, I have not researched knives in quite a while... If I could have it any way I want, I would convert a Hiro AS because of the easy maintenance and good performance, but not sure I want to do that right now.

Thanks,

Stefan

got Hattori HD & norton flattening stone for $160 shipped

also have used mizuyama 1k/6k stone
Hattori HD & norton flattening stone
all 3 for 205 shipped

Are these shipping direct to Germany or via HI?

Just wondering if being in Europe is a help or a hindrance.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Kodo, I will keep that HD in mind for now - the main reason I am not jumping on it is that I would prefer a wa handled knife. The cook's dad will come visit me next week in Hawaii, and he wants to work with me and make a wa handle for himself and for his son. But if you want to sell the stone and flattening stone alone, please send me a PM. Tom, that answers your question also, I guess, shipping would be to Hawaii so my friend and I can work on it.

Stefan

sent you a pm on the stones.

Back