D. Martell Dave's Sharpening Class

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've watched Dave's video several times along with Jon's and while they are good, and helped me get better, I feel like I would benefit greatly by taking the class. I do much better in an environment where mistakes can be corrected and questions answered as they come up.
I wanted to see if any other KKF members would be interested in a small class in the near future. We could either meet up at Dave's place or carpool if some of the DC area members are interested.

Another option is to have Dave come to the DC area. We could either meet at someone's home (I would be happy to offer mine) or somewhere else - I am open to ideas!

I have corresponded with Dave about this and he is open to both ideas. We haven't discussed numbers yet because there are too many variables, but it would cost more for him to come to DC area for obvious reasons, but I was thinking if enough were interested the time saved driving might make it worth while. And afterwards we could have dinner at Chuck's place The Green Pig in Arlington, VA, or Marc's place bistro blanc MD, or Travis's place Art and Soul in DC. So many great choices!!

Bill

Thanks for exploring this. I'm interested and can offer up our house for the event if it works out that way. We're in the Tyson's Corner area.

I'm potentially interested depending on cost and timing - may have a friend interested too. Will be monitoring.

you guys have to make this happen. I had a great time, made some new friends and it helped my sharpening unbeliveably

I'd be interested based on time and date! I'm in gaithersburg, md.

Count me in. I could use something a little past a beginner class (maybe getting into edge repair or some single-bevel techniques)

David,

I was hoping you would be up for this:biggrin:. I guess that is a potential problem - a class with wildly different skill sets. I was thinking that 6 would probably be the most that would work, but Dave M. if you have an opinion on class size please chip in.

Bill

David,

I was hoping you would be up for this:biggrin:. I guess that is a potential problem - a class with wildly different skill sets. I was thinking that 6 would probably be the most that would work, but Dave M. if you have an opinion on class size please chip in.

Bill

Having different skill levels, if both beginner & advanced attend, can prove to be a problem since the gap is so wide.

If the class is held here in my shop I keep the attendance at a maximum of 7 students. If it's held elsewhere then this number could be increased up to about 12 depending on the size of the venue. I can handle teaching up to about 12 without loosing too much control. :)

I can only do VA/ DC area right now. Would consider retaking even if 'beginner' because there are still subtleties I can use help with. Bill13, you want to talk with Dave M about details?

It's looking like we have enough for 1/2 of a PA class and 1/2 of a VA class but not enough for either. :(

I'll echo what others are saying about VA, cost and timing being the deciding factor, I would be down for this.
Teach this Ol dog some new tricks

I know another (forum member) who is definitely in for VA as well. Mr 420

This is great. It looks like we have 6-8 people interested in a NoVa class, location TBD. Halsegaf has also offered his house in Tysons, but I think the location of my house (Arlington) would be easier for the D.C and MD people, and closer for Dave as well. I have a 7 ft Breakfast room table or a heated garage where I can put together a "table" of plywood and sawhorses which I could make any length. There we could make a mess no worries:doublethumbsup:
Dave, what would you be looking to charge for a class in the DC area? Is it somewhat dependent on the final number in the class?

This is great. It looks like we have 6-8 people interested in a NoVa class, location TBD. Halsegaf has also offered his house in Tysons, but I think the location of my house (Arlington) would be easier for the D.C and MD people, and closer for Dave as well. I have a 7 ft Breakfast room table or a heated garage where I can put together a "table" of plywood and sawhorses which I could make any length. There we could make a mess no worries:doublethumbsup:
Dave, what would you be looking to charge for a class in the DC area? Is it somewhat dependent on the final number in the class?

I'm all for whatever is easier to make this happen. Thank you very much for organizing this!!

Hadi

So Dave has agreed that having it at my place and in the garage would work well. So how many do we have that are serious about this knowing it will happen in Arlington, VA? As I mentioned the cost will depend on the number of attendees. His private lessons are 395 and I know while we all love the idea of not having to drive about 6 hours round trip because this class involves a lot more work for Dave it does not end up being that much less than the private lesson. Working against us is the fact that Dave will be away from his shop for several days, plus his gas, food, and lodging.

Here are the numbers: If we get 8 people the cost would be 350. It is important to note that the class would run 8 hours so I think that will give everyone plenty of one on one time. To entice people I would provide a lunch, of my homemade pork BBQ, with homemade coleslaw, baked beans, homemade chili, and drinks. Afterwards I think some beer and wine are called for:doublethumbsup:

I realize this is not a great discount so I am still up for the idea of the class up at Dave's place. There we could have a class of 7 people for only $150 per person. If we can't get 7 the cost would just increase to make up the difference.

So what does everyone think?

Bill

Back