Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass around. Midway line knife

Quote Originally Posted by chefpaulm View Post
    To all
    The midway knife has arrived
    Will keep you posted
    Chef paul
    Awesome Chef! Have fun!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    Due to extenuating circumstances with work depending on when the knife gets delivered I am assuming 3 weeks I might have to drop out

Sorry to hear. Let Ecchef know. and maybe we can adjust the numbers and get you the knife when it works better for your sced.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

No problem with altering the rotation.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    No problem with altering the rotation.
    Back in lol sorry

Too Late.....

Just kidding!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Hi All this is my take on "The espresso line knife"

1) Aesthetics/F&F
    This is a good looking knife. The fit and finish are excellent; the handle has a great coffee brown color to it along with a black racing stripe on either side of the blade handle facing the steel and fading outward to the coffee color and it is textured. I found this material be an excellent choice for a line knife that is going to see years of hard service. The fit of the handle to the blade was excellent. There were no gap issues between the front of the handle and the blade as is sometimes seen with wood handle knives.

2) Ergonomics.
    Considering I have a very large hand which makes buying gloves an impossible task. My size is between 11 Ĺ and 12. The basic ergonomics of the knife were very good the handle fit my hand well. Itís an effortless transition picking it up on the fly and going to task with it.

3) Blade Geometry, Profile & Grind.
    The blade geometry and was excellent, considering my large hand I had no problem with knuckle clearance on a cutting board. The blade is excellent and excels in thinly slicing duck, black and blue tuna or chicken breast. If youíre going to use this knife to slice rack of lamb into chops make sure you get all that chine bone off. Due to the extremely thin profile of the blade you would hate to put a half-moon in it.

4) Steel Qualities.
    This blade steel is excellent on this knife (same steel on itís big brother (240mm) on the 4th day I steeled the knife (3 passes per side) on a fine dickeron (non-diamond) red handled 14Ē steel from F. Dick just to true the edge. The steel easily cut anything I threw at it. It worked well on precision cuts but I wish it had a little more blade. But hey? Itís a line knife and it excelled in that position and truly held its own. Acidic foods are not a problem for this knife.

5) General overall impression.
    On the whole I truly enjoyed this knife. The knife is extremely light and is very thin steel in thickness so you glide through your work. The only thing negative I have to say about the knife is its balance. In my hands that it wanted to wander but itís easily controllable. This is not in any way a reflection on Randy. It has more to do with the physical aspects of me. My hands are large as mentioned before and they take up a lot of real-estate on the knife handle. Case in point, I let some others use the knife and who had small hands and they love the knife. As stated before, it was an incredibly positive experience. If you are in the market for a line knife you should truly contemplate this one. This knife and steel combo are up to the rigors of the task! Considering the rice point itís a home run!
    Randy thanks for the opportunity to test drive it!

Chef Paul

I have this blade currently.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Chef Paul. Great write up. Im glad to hear the knife worked well for you and you enjoyed it! Did you take it to the stones or is the original edge still holding up?

I imaging it may be ready so if you get a chance Theory. and it needs it. Please feel free to put a edge on it!

God Bless

Availible Knives

So far I'm really liking the finish on this blade. A slight asymmetry on the scale mount up but has no effect on performance obviously. Nice satin finish, rounded spine, eased choil. It's light, nimble, the profile provides knuckle clearance and the length allows for slicing up on the line.

Before reading this thread the first thing I did was check the edge and I felt it could use a tune up. It was rough shaving arm hair, mostly pulling them. Still not too shabby having seen 4 users now. First I hit the Rika 5k to see if I could touch it up. The steel didn't feel like it was moving and I wasn't flipping a burr. That's why I decided to drop down to the bester 1200. Just used my normal method of asymmetrical sharpening what seemed more like a 70/30 than a 60/40 edge. After I got the steel moving, it was easy to flip and refine the burr. Back to the Rika 5k and the ease of burr flipping continued until the point of diminishing returns. To me this means the burr is tiny, even and can be flipped with one stroke. I think the knife just needed to be opened up a bit. Then it was on to the felt strop loaded with diamond. Super shaving sharp with a healthy bite, the perfect edge for gyuto.

The only problem I had while sharpening was the starting angle I had to hold the knife at in relation to the stone on the back side at the heel. On the back I usually start perpendicular to the stone but with this knife I had to point the handle forwards to avoid bumping it into the stone. No biggie, Randy can fix this without changing the aesthetics or performance easy.

Next two days I plan on giving it a proper workout and will report back with more information. My initial impression however is that I won't be surprised that it's full'o win.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I'm confident Rick will beat the crap out of it.

+ Reply to Thread