Quantcast
Pass around. Midway line knife - Page 17
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Pass around. Midway line knife

Patrick, Steel in Texas is next up. I'll p/m you the shipping info.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    OK Guys. So I have been thinking about this and wanted your opinion. Its a bit offf topic yet here we go..

First up is a second batch of 240mm chef knives. I have already started the process and have expected delivery date. and price. etc

My thought is this. I can follow that with the line knife in a matching handle material. or in a different handle material.
    For the 240's I chose a Neon Green and hunters orange combination in G-10, Which is BULLET PROOF!

Next I want to do some paring knives. and again could do them all with same handle material as the 240. so the 3 piece "set" would essentially match..

Your thoughts on G-10? Or matching sets?

Thanks
    Hi Randy,
    Long Time, No Talk, however I like the idea of doing the matching sets in G-10. Personally I like bright loud colors but there is so much personal preference. Maybe you should a do a "Limited Edition" line knife with G-10 or custom micarta handles made by yourself and not the factory? The burlap and coffee bag micarta was cool. I also think doing a "limited edition" production knife matched sets is also a good idea. I think you are on to something.

At least that is my $0.02

Thats a good idea. and based off a few other comments. I think mixing it up a little would be best. So Ill do a limited amount in the green and orange. and then follow them up with other knife designs with same handles. And then do the rest in a more neutral color. G-10 or marcarta.

Thanks for your input and suggestions!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Agree with everything Rogue said.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Steel...it's on the way!

Thanks Echef!

How many people are left on the list? Its gota be getting close to wrapping up?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Thanks Echef!

How many people are left on the list? Its gota be getting close to wrapping up?
    Hey Randy. Unless there were some shifts in the order, I think I'm the last one and I'm up next after Steel. So nearing the end of the road and then back home to you.

Almost, Seth. One more stop after you!

Here's some delayed feedback, thanks for reminding me ecchef. Once again, this one was just used at home as I was out of the kitchen for a while.

1) Aesthetics/F&F.

Overall, I thought the knife was very pleasing to the eye. I really liked the handle material for this application. It was nice and grippy even when wet but it didn't feel 'dead' like a lot of synthetics and highly polished stabilized wood can feel to me. To me though, with a knife made to be a utility knife of sorts, the mosaic pin looked a bit off. I've never been a fan of em to begin with, but it just doesn't fit to me when looking at the knife on the board. I didn't see any voids between the handle/spacer/tang and I found everything to be nicely rounded.

2) Ergonomics.

A bit of a disclaimer, I am used to wa-handles at this point both in shape and balance. I wear a size large glove at work and my fingers are slender for comparison sake. I found that the handle wanted to lock into your hand due to a number of things: shape, weight, and texture of the material. This led to a nice pick it up and go type feeling that would be nice on the line, very predictable like you knew how the knife would sit in your hand after handling it a few times. A few funny things I noticed though, while the choil itself is rounded over and there is a cutout for your index finger, the curvature of the handle coupled with the position I naturally wanted to pinch at (immediately after the tip of the handle) almost pushed my index finger into the choil making it feel unrounded even thought it was. I also like to switch my grip at times to an index finger on the spine of the knife when making draw cuts while slicing and found the handle a bit short for my liking, like the hook of the handle seemed to be a bit too close causing my hand to curl up in this position. That said, the knife felt a bit handle heavy, possibly due to the fact that I use mostly wa's on the longer side, so adding length to the handle may not be a good idea.

3) Blade Geometry, Profile & Grind.

Grind was really nice. Stiction was low, especially toward the tip which is the part of the knife I found myself using most. I personally wanted about 10mm more on the knife and just a slightly pointier tip. I can see how some people want a bit of a recurve toward the heel, nothing perceptible to the eye at first but something you can feel on the board. Height was perfect, great knuckle clearance while still being able to slice well.

4) General overall impression.
    I had a really good time with this knife all said and done. I feel like some people are going to pick it up and it will just click for them. This was not the case for me but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Thanks for the opportunity.

Thanks, Patrick!!