Quantcast
Pass around. Midway line knife - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Pass around. Midway line knife

Knife is currently with CDP. Steel in Texas is working on review.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Patric. Thanks for the write up I appreciate your time and help!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Well, it finally made it's way here. Gonna beat the hell out of over the next week.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

First day of use. Comparing it to my Konosuke HD 'go to' home knife.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0899.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	24070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0900.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	24071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0901.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	24072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0902.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	24073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0903.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	24074

I did some quick measurements.
    The HHH comes in at 202mm; 1mm longer on edge than the HD. Pretty much a dead heat
    Height at heel; 43mm for the HHH, 40 for the HD. Even with the HHH more substantial handle, there was no board clearance issues whatsoever.
    Spine thickness is virtually identical, with the HHH distal taper starting a little earlier.
    Using my rudimentary method of measuring tip to board height, the HHH comes in at 11mm, 3mm lower than the HD. This, along with Randy's more triangular profile made a big difference in usability. It felt much more fluid than the HD in tip work.
    Weight difference was pretty substantial; 169g for the HHH, 98g for the HD. Mostly handle heavy, throwing the balance point back a bit more than I prefer. I think that if the handle was sculpted a little more, it would bring down the weight, move the balance forward, and provide a little more purchase for the pinky finger. That being said, I always felt that the HD didn't carry enough weight.

Gonna do some dinner prep involving leeks, tomatoes, eggplant, onion, garlic, chard, cooked sausage, some fresh herbs, etc.
    I'm not going to strop or sharpen...it'll have the edge that all the other testers used before me.

Echef. Im glad it finally made it to you! Thanks for taking care of this one!!

Looking forward to the follow up from you.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I'm liking it so far!

glad to see this is finally winding down, Now lets get it on the market so I can buy one

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I'm liking it so far!

Great! I'm sure it will serve you well!

Availible Knives

Time to order your Midway Line Knife!

Based off the reviews and info from the testers. I will make a few small tweaks to the profile and handle.. Most of the changes are geared to the front of the handle itself and the area directly in front of the handle. As well as a slight tip adjustment which will make it a better slicer for draw cuts and a little more pointy for lack of a better term. The resulting changes will also make sharpening more comfortable, allowing a more natural feel on the stones when sharpening near the heel.

I am ready to move forward with a short run of Midway line knives. I want to thank everyone for their help in the pass around as well as for your interest in these knives. Due to the nature of this small batch the price point is a bit higher then I was planning for the production version of this design. I also want you all to know. These will not be production knives. Rather they will be done in house here at HHH Knives.

In total I will do up to 15 Midway line knives.

Ill keep the order list open for a couple weeks or or until its full. whichever happens first.

The estimated turn around time on these will be Jan 2015.

To keep the price down down. There wont be options for handle material. They will all have. Canvas micarta. Similar to original handle on the pass around with a black liner and stainless pins. single mosaic pin.

Price point of the fist batch will be 295.00 + shipping Payment options will be. 50% to place the order. With the balance and shipping due at time of completion.

To order, Please shoot me a Private Message here on the forum. Include you real name. and email address. as well as the country where you live. This will allow me to send a invoice through PayPal for the deposits and to be able to know how much to charge for shipping when the knives are done and ready to ship.

Because I cant make changes or edit this post here on KKF. I reserve the right to modify or change the info above. As needed. Yet will communicate both here and in email of any changes if necessary.

Availible Knives

Randy,
    thanks for sharing this in a passaround. I really enjoyed using it. Life's been a bit crazy, but finally got a review written up to add to the mix. My take:

if the best test of a product is would you want one, or go buy one when available -- for me, the Midway was a winner.
    In my week with the knife, i tried to use it almost exclusively. Everything from breaking down proteins,slice and dice prep, to finish work.

Impressions:
    the steel and temper were impressive.As a passaround knife, I didn't sharpen it other than a 20 second stropping but even that left a great edge, that held up.

In use, the knife handled everything I asked of it. It felt like a new class of Petty to me. I liked the general shape/profile for the most part. Though, in profile, I'd have liked a hint more curve at the tip (more point) for detail work and a tiny bit more height at the heel. I am also used to slightly more belly in the profile for prep tasks but the knife wasn't uncomfortable to use. By the end of my week I was really liking it.

Compared next to a full kit (suji/petty/gyuto etc), and space to use them, the midway would be at a disadvantage but in many ways that is an unfair comparison. By itself I think one of the selling points of the Midway is that it is versatile and space conscious. I personally think it will serve a broad market -- pros on cramped lines as intended....but also, capable home cooks who have good or better knife skills It's a good fit for those that lack either the comfort, space, or interest in an arsenal of knives. The profile, size and choices won't make the knife a standout for all tasks or all users but provided a balance of compromises.

The biggest negative for me on the knife was balance. I generally use Wa handled knives with a neutral balance. This was handle heavy. I'd have liked to see the balance point come forward a little bit more
    As for handle comfort, the handle was excellent. I had a few people hold it and give me feedback to see if there would be any variation among people with big mitts versus little. Almost universally all found it comfortable.
    For me, same view, though in use I did miss a little more transition at the bolster area. With a pinch grip, and the acknowledged bias of regularly using Wa handles, i didn't feel like I had as good a grip as I'd have liked. A little more width in the belly of the handle for the back of my hand (pinky/ring finger) and a slightly longer taper where the handle transitions to the blade would have made a pinch grip feel like I had more contact with the handle.

All in all, everyone has their biases when it comes to shape and profile....and I suspect some of that will be apparent on the Midway. The universal, though, is the steel and handle. Here, both are great. This was my first chance to try one of Randy's knives. I was extremely impressed with handle and blade.