Quantcast
Pass around. Midway line knife - Page 9
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass around. Midway line knife

this might be a dumb question ,but what exactly is the term "aggressive" used for? toothy or.....?

toothy is part of it.

I think this is a grey area where there may be many answers and any of them could be right. In My Opinion. a toothy edge at just the right angle. ground slightly R H Bias on the edge.. Combined with a blade thats not to thick behind the edge. Would be what I consider a good aggressive working edge!

How toothy, or what angle etc. Thats where you go into option or personal experience. and your results may vary..

I tend to sharpen my blades for home use to be as tough and aggressive as possible because I dont want to have to re sharpen my knives often. and Lisa uses them more then me these days.. Shes a great cook and learning lots for the inter-web that continues to make the stuff she cooks better! But her knife shills are not that great. A aggressive edge will work good on almost any food stuff your cutting. As well as tend to last and is easy touch up. Again. This is my opinion and experience.

I however LOVE a highly refined edge for some tasks. and have one knife in the kitchen that is mine. (Yea, Right! lol) And I sharpen it differently then the rest taking it to a much steeper/higher angle on the edge as well as to 5 ot 8K on the stones.

Stay sharp
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

What I have found is AEB-L has a HAPPY place. Not unlike other steel types. Meaning that you need to take it to at least XXXX Grit stone. to get the best out of it.

This is again my opinion. The magic number is 1200G My preference is a King 1200. I got from BST. then I do about 3 to 4 back strokes per side. on a 5K then a few back strops on a leather with 1 micron diamond. And thats it. Nothing crazy, yet the edge is awesome on AEB-L for me when done this way. 97% of the actual sharpening/metal removal, is done on the King.

Stay sharp my friends!
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Randy, I will attest to Lisa being a great cook. Her knife skills, however, I can't remember. Surprising, because My brain works best when I have tons of coffee in my system...which I definitely did.

This knife looks really good, Randy.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It went out today, you should have the tracking number, ecchef.

Got it. Thanks, Jacob!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Randy, I will attest to Lisa being a great cook. Her knife skills, however, I can't remember. Surprising, because My brain works best when I have tons of coffee in my system...which I definitely did.

This knife looks really good, Randy.
    Lisa said you have a open invite!! Got COFFEE!! will travel.....

Thanks bro

Availible Knives

To all
    The midway knife has arrived
    Will keep you posted
    Chef paul

Due to extenuating circumstances with work depending on when the knife gets delivered I am assuming 3 weeks I might have to drop out