Quantcast
Pass around. Midway line knife - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass around. Midway line knife

Hi Randy,
    No, during my time I never put the knife on a stone.I just touched it up on a 14 inch fine
    Butchers steel. When I shipped it off to Rick I knew the edge of the knife was going to need some work. Sorry Rick!

That's fine, I'm glad I got to give it the tune up. I always personally send em off ripping sharp if I can. Just because I want to scare the **** out of you guys!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Ok, I'm done. Who's next? PM shipping info please so I can send it off tomorrow.

Looks like it's Coqavin, assuming he's still in. Here's the list from post #40:

1 Ramen legend
    2 EdipisReks
    3 chefpaulm
    4 ThEoRy
    5 Coqavin
    6 toddnmd
    7 knyfeknerd
    8 Daveb
    9 Dardeau
    10 Pleue
    11 Steel in Texas
    12 CPD

I'll send you the info Rick.

Check your p/m's.
    Last edited by ecchef; 03-16-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I spoke with Rick in great detail about this blade and knives in general today! Hes a awesome dude., If you have not seen his Youtube vids yet. Look him up. Lots of great stuff! and good music on most of them as well!!

I hope Rick has time to share his thoughts here as well!

God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Hey,

Just to let everyone know I received the knife.

Gave it a little run on some russets.

First impressions : As I said before Randy makes the most comfortable Westerns I have ever used.

Rick was not lying when he said he puts a scary edge on the thing. This knife was sticking into my cutting board like crazy sharp as heck.

Will do a more in-depth evaluation when I work this weekend.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    Hey,

Just to let everyone know I received the knife.

Gave it a little run on some russets.

First impressions : As I said before Randy makes the most comfortable Westerns I have ever used.

Rick was not lying when he said he puts a scary edge on the thing. This knife was sticking into my cutting board like crazy sharp as heck.

Will do a more in-depth evaluation when I work this weekend.

Mark

I shoulda just dropped it off at your house. 40 minute drive.

Anyway, I'm glad this bumped back up as it reminded me to write my thoughts.

I spoke about the fit and finish and the edge taking ability of this blade previously. I was impressed with these aspects to say the least. Edge holding ability was pretty good as well. I'd say it settled in around the 85% mark and just stayed there for two shifts with no problem. It responded fairly well to stropping and I was able to get the edge at a respectable level but I wanted to send it out at 100% for Mark to use. Touched it up on the rika 5k then stropped on felt with diamonds.

Geometry: It's pretty thin at sub 2mm and especially so near the tip thanks to a great distal taper. Maybe it could be a little thinner behind the edge but it wasn't wedging or steering, just a little drag is all. What it doesn't do however is flex anywhere except the tip. This is because of the spine construction and distal again. Near the handle it starts out a bit thicker then plunges inward after a few mm. This adds strength and prevents any flex near the handle, a great feature. I feel it shows off the maker's skill a bit as well.

Profile: This knife is great at a few things, chopping, push cutting and slicing. It's fairly flat for a good distance on the back half which makes it excel at those tasks. The downside however is that while rocking the knife, the board contact is a little jarring. I think it needs a subtle curve to eliminate this and give it that smooth cutting motion. As I said to Randy, "Upon first glance it should look flat but upon closer inspection it should reveal a gentle curve." Maybe it's me but I feel all gyuto style knives should have this trait. I feel they should just be "flat enough". I don't need a perfectly flat edge on my gyuto, that's why I have an usuba. I can't speak on walking the board as I didn't try it.

It was a real pleasure to use and especially so in some tight quarters which I have recently worked. Overall I'd say this one is just about there. Minor tweaks and it's a hit.

Ok Todd will ship it out tomorrow morning (Monday)

First impressions : The handle is something different and is cool to me. Works good on the line with wet and dirty hands. As I stated above, Randy makes the most comfortable Western Handles I have ever used. I tried it out first on some red russets. There was some sticking of course that you will notice with starchy ingredients.

At work on the line it is great in size and can just hang out above me on the line or somewhere away from me and not be in the way or in danger of being knocked off the cutting board. When slicing protein it was great that is all I used it for. I worked the grill and used it to slice lamb loin. Nice clean cuts that did not stick what so ever. I really like the AEB-L steel. The steel gets screaming sharp and when you are in the weeds that most of us know about it is great just to wipe down really quick and be done with it and not worry about all those meat juices (even though I dig a patina from meat juices). The knuckle clearance is on point as well. I did not have any problems with my knuckles hitting the board at all.

The only con for me is the profile. While it is a prototype the angle of the blade just does not work for me. I like a flatter profile. While it is flat when put on the cutting board the angle turns upwards or away from the cutting board. One other thing I noticed maybe a slight over grind near the tip? Again I know this a prototype and things like this can be fixed. Overall, I would say it is a sweet knife. The AEB-L steel is heat treated great and takes a scary sharp edge (Thanks RICK). With a few improvements this will be a hit.

Thanks for letting me try it out Randy! Best of luck with this and I am sure you will knock it out of the park!

Have fun with it Todd. I am just going to strop it on bare leather before sending it out to you Todd. To get back that scary edge that Rick already put on it. I did not beat on it that much at all. So I do not know about the edge retention by the way.

Thanks,
    Mark

On its way to Maryland

+ Reply to Thread