CarboNext or Suisin Inox petty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farrant

Reaction score
What would people go for out of the 2 above? Looking at adding a petty and have narrowed it down to these 2.

I think the Suisin (Western) is better looking but I imagine the CarboNext will hold an edge better. It will be used in a pro kitchen and is my first real Jknife.

Also is the 'extra sharpness' worth going for from JCK?

Thanks.

INOX has good edge retention. I don't know about carbonext.

Do you prefer SS over non SS?

I picked up a Suisin as one of my first knives. They are semi stainless and will develop a light patina. I found the handle to be way too small for me. Edge retention was good. I sold it and picked up one of the JCK Inazuma's which I still have and use.

JKI also has a 150 Gesshin stainless at a nice price.

Just finished cooking dinner for 2 using 4 different petty knives :) It happened they I got 4 different petty knives in 150mm now: Shigefusa, Carbonext, Tanaka VG10, Tanaka blue#2.

All of them have more or less same sharpness. Surprisingly for myself Tanaka blue#2 were a better cutter among all others. Can't really explain why, but it just cuts better and has noticeably better food release. The other three knives were pretty similar. Shig a bit better maybe.
I own Tanaka vg10 for about half a year and like it. And my wife likes it and use for most tasks. Carbonext arrived about 1.5-2 month ago. Good knife, can't complain. Pretty similar in performance to Fujiwara FKM in my opinion. In my eyes Tanaka VG10 has a bit better profile with more knuckle clearance. But carbonext has a really good handle while Tanaka VG10 handle was crap.
Shigefusa is nice and I really liked this knife and considered it to be the best petty. Until yesterday when I received Tanaka blue#2. While Tanaka cost several times less then Shig it's a really nice cutter. I have to admit Tanala blue#2 cuts much better then Tanaka VG10 or Carbonext.

Between Suisin and Carbonext I would choose Carbonext. It's not reactive at all and takes a very keen edge. If I remember correctly you already has JCK combo stone and it should serve you well for keeping Carbonext sharp (hence same would be true for Suisin). I didn't opted for extra sharpness, but the factory edge was ok. Not mind blowing but pretty useful right out of the box.

Since you're in the UK I'd go for the Carbonext. I've got a Carbonext gyuto and I'm very happy with it, edge retention is excellent. If you're any good at sharpening I wouldn't bother with the "extra sharpness" service at JCK. Factory edge on my Carbonext gyuto was awful

Thanks for the replies. Still can't make my mind up and now I've seen a Zakuri Blue #1 petty I like the look of. Anybody have any experience of these? And yeah I have a JCK 1k/4k stone, and am looking to add a strop and a coarser stone sometime soon.

Also consider the Hiromoto AS 150mm petty. Great knife for a good price.

I used to have the CN petty. It was great in every way. I only sold it because I wanted something with a wa-handle.

I haven't used suisin, but you can't go wrong with either hiro as/ carbonext. They are solid performers IMO.

For what it's worth just ordered I Hiromoto AS petty. Thanks for the suggestion it looks a really nice knife.

You are gonna love it. Awesomeness of Aogami Super Steel with the protective stainless cladding. Win.

You are gonna love it. Awesomeness of Aogami Super Steel with the protective stainless cladding. Win.

+1 The Hiro.AS 150 petty was my first San Mai blade.A real workhorse.Great for butterfly shrimp thru the shell.

Back