Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Passaround - Kanetsune 165mm Deba

I got this in the mail yesterday and wanted to post a quick first impressions. This is the first deba I've ever held. To be honest it might be the first deba I've ever seen in real life. The knife itself is beautiful, I'm still kind of curious what the steel is. The handle is gorgeous, at first I thought it was too thick for me but after just a little use it became very comfortable. I was surprised by just how thick it is at the spine, and how heavy a knife it is all around. But with the weight and thickness still incredibly nimble, I was impressed with how the knife works so well and flies through meat. I am dispatching a couple of red fish tonight, hopefully I'll get a couple of pics.

Glad it's made it to you. I did not hear anything more from Charles so you've got the last stop. Enjoy.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Well the knife is off. Thought I would show off some of my handy work. Or butchery. This was my first fillet. It is not pretty. I am not necessarily embarrassed by my work. I am embarrassed to admit how many times I watched Theory's and other's fish take downs in preparation for using this knife. I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone that can do this well, and make it look so effortless. Since this was my first time using a deba, I can't rank or compare it to other knives of the same ilk. I did much prefer this to my flexible fillet knife, and the knife itself was very fun to use. I was surprised by how much of the blade that you could use at any given time and how the tip of the blade was so much more nimble than my thin fillet knife, much more controllable.