Any use a gravy separator?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a fair amount of braises recently and I was wondering if anyone would recommend grabbing a gravy separator or if I should stick with a spoon or ladle to remove the fat. I was just wondering if these things are worth having around and if you guys use or have recommendations if so.

Thanks
Jared

I have a Oxo that I use all the time. It's indispensable if you want to separate a small amount of liquid from a large amount of fat or grease.

I use them. For me they are not better than a spoon or ladle, they are faster. The plastic ones are quite inexpensive, you can give one a try without breaking the bank.

I have a Oxo that I use all the time. It's indispensable if you want to separate a small amount of liquid from a large amount of fat or grease.
I have the same and it works great. If you have room for one then I'd say grab one. It does take a little longer than just tipping the pan to spoon off the fat though.

i also have the OXO. i use it occasionally. when i do, it works as advertised.

however, for most of my braises..i do them early. i take out the meat, refridge everything. next day..pull off the fat cap..and gently heat it all back together and serve. i find the dish will taste better the next day..and it really cuts back on the party prep time if the main dish is done early.

however, for most of my braises..i do them early. i take out the meat, refridge everything. next day..pull off the fat cap..and gently heat it all back together and serve. i find the dish will taste better the next day..and it really cuts back on the party prep time if the main dish is done early.

Yeah I do the exact same thing. It works really really well.

and you have fat for a roux!

Another fan of the Oxo. Only down side is that it takes up a lot of real estate when in storage - which is most of the time.

It is definitely worth having for large batches and alot of fat/liquid. if im working in a 2 quart sauce pan or less ill usually skim but for larger jobs it certainly comes in handy and does a flawless job.

Same here with the OXO, I find it well worth it even if I have to work in batches.

Back