Old Growth Redwood Burl - Stabilized Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Just got another batch of Redwood burl back from getting stabilized at K&G (Knife & Gun Finishing Supply in Arizona).
This is Old Growth Redwood Burl that came from the Redwood forest near Arcata in Northern California (with the exception of the bottom block). I got this burl from a retired gentleman who had it stored in his basement for the past 35+ years. He got it from his father inlaw who was a Redwood logger back in the days when they were still logging Redwood in Northern California. There are a lot of variations with Redwood Burl. This is one of my favorites. Lots of eyes with a lighter colored web pattern figure around them. The way I like to finish this is by applying a few coats of an oil blend like Danish oil followed by paste wax and hand buffing with a soft cloth. This brightens the coloring and gives more depth and flash to the figure.

These are the new blocks I added to the web store today. Prices range from $40 to $50 depending on size and figure.
Free US shipping and money back guarantee.
Click on the photo to go to where these blocks are located in our web store.
Each block is photographed individually and show both sides of the blocks.

If you miss out on these I have a handful more that I will be photographing and adding to the webstore on Sunday. Several are oversized blocks.

I will give this piece a couple days and if it hasn't found a good home I will take it for myself. (like I need more wood)
This piece is a lot different than normal redwood burl. I am trying to remember what the raw wood looked like because this is a type I want to try to get more of.

This last piece is stunning, I would not sell that if it were mine

Stefan

Looks like someone purchased #7285 during the night.
Got into work this morning and there were 2 phone messages, 1 email and 3 pm's wanting this block.
I guess I had better try to get more redwood like it.

Back