My first knife handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vils

Reaction score
I´ve never been pleased with my nakiri´s handle so I decided to use it for my first re-handle experiment.
The result is far from perfect but I´ve learned some important lessons and the new handle is much better than the one it replaced.
nakirihandle_zpsea4b5812.jpg

The wood is hawthorne.

Thanks!
I must get better drill bits, a belt sander and drill press (?). Doing this with hand tools was not easy.

I really like the wood you used. That hawthorne has a nice worm look to it.

Be well,
Mikey

Looks great! Keep it up. I started with hand tools too. Looks a lot better than my 1st.
Really dig the Hawthorne.

Nicely done! I prefer using hand tools only when making western handles… dunno why Rick called it insane :)

Very nice, especially knowing this was done with hand tools! Keep it up man, jealous of your skills.

Awesome! How long did it take to make with hand tools?
I really don´t know, I´ve been sandpaperining the handle for a couple of evenings whilst listening to radio and watching TV. Maybe 12h in total. Hard to tell.

Thanks for all kind words to Y´a.ll

For making clean tight pin holes a small drill press helps alot.Did a few handles by hand went out & got a Ryobi DP at Home Depot,very inexpensive does the job.Also use it as a buffer pad in the chuck.Turns slower & feel that I have more control then those verticle buffers.

Back