Home oven's exhaust sucks, well, doesn't suck. Alternatives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My stove's overhead exhaust is awful. Replacing it isn't in the cards now, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. It's only a problem when using high heat for searing, cooking burgers, etc. and the whole place fills with smoke. There's a window a couple feet away, maybe one of those window exhaust fans? What do you fellow home cooks do with crappy exhausts (aside from using the grill outside)?

It the exhaust part of a microwave or a stand alone unit? Is it vented to the exterior? If so you should check the hood exhaust where it leaves the home to make sure it is not blocked. If it just recirculates then you could see about converting it (usually they come from the factory where you can use them either way.

It's a standalone exhaust that goes to a flap on the side of the house. Otherwise it basically just blows the smoke back into the room through the vents in the hood.

change your filter? The the duct may have come loose. does it exhaust near a window or door? you maybe sucking everything back into the house.

Just ordered a new filter. I didn't specify, I'm sorry, but its just a recirculator with filter. The back does go to a flap that vents outside but I don't think that works very well. The stove is next to a window so I may just get a small fan to blow the smoke out the window when I'm going to make a lot of smoke.

Well if it just recirculates with filter, you need to vent it to the outside. It's actually not that hard to do if you are handy with tools. If you are renting you are out of luck.

Back