Good Stuff came in the mail today

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Yellow Cedar Burl blocks and 4 lbs of one of my very favorite coffees.
001_zps45013ad6.jpg

Just had a cup. I love this stuff.
I have tried quite a few different ones and so far for my personal taste I like this, the Costa Rica Monte Crisal and the Papau New Guinea Peaberry.
Probably got the spelling wrong. Not too fond of the bold earthy african stuff but I keep trying different ones just in case.

I have yet to find my perfect cup o joe have a specialty coffee house opening up down the street not soon enough

Oaxacan coffee.. I lived in Oaxaca for a few years, they can churn some decent coffee. However I was in a coffee trip through Colombia's coffee zone for 2 weeks and had some of the best coffee ever, it was one of the farms personal stock, all Peaberry.

Apprantly, it's still Christmas season for some. I envy you.

Funny, I got some coffee also today, some espresso blends from Vivace. And a few sharpening stones and a knife :)

Stefan

Do those yellow cedar burl blocks need to dry before getting stabilized? How long until they'll be for sale?
I am going to cut one to check the moisture content inside but I think they are ready to go to K&G. So most likely a month away.
A while back a knife maker from Canada called me about the tiger maple I had. As we talked he told me he lived on Vancouver Island. First thing that came to mind was Yellow Cedar burl. As far as I know that is the only place where they get the burls with eyes. We got talking and he agreed to trade some for maple. Now he is looking for larger volumes that I can purchase. This is one of those woods that can be difficult to get.

I was on Vancouver island 2 summers ago, while there I purchased a 18"x 2" tihck slab of yellow cedar burl. It's really beautifully stuff, a lot of the natives there use it for carvings and sculptures. Needless to say I got a lot of strange looks from airport staff on the way home.

I'll take a couple of each please.
Also, Karl! Good to see you!

Back