WTB Petty. Looking for recommendations.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles222

Reaction score
Looking for a 150-180 petty. Never owned one before, but has recently been playing with a co-workers and really appreciated it's size and dantiness. I would like to keep it under $130. But also don't mind a used one, if i can get more bang for my buck. Wa handle preferred, but not necessary. Will be using it in a pro environment, so prefer something that has good edge retention. Stainless or carbon. Have good experience maintaining a carbon steel, so it's not too much of an issue.

A petty has only a small area of board contact, will dull faster, get sharpened a lot, gets some abuse as well. Don't pay too much, it won't last.

I agree. Was really hoping to get a used one, and get more comfortable with one before i drop too much cash. But don't have enough posts to use the BST section.

Find it hard to imagine what you really need a petty for you can't do with a decent gyuto.

I dunno, I cant agree with that. Its a different feel/ animal. More agile/ fragile. Id much rather do orange supremes with a petty rather than my gyuoto. Quicker release, better precision.

Charles222, I would suggest getting a hold of Lefty and asking him if he has any petties available. Im pretty sure he has one hes selling right now.

Thanks for the heads up Quantumcloud509. You hit the nail on the head with the orange supremes. Also want to use it to cut small fishes like gizzard shard or those little needle fish we serve in the restaurant.

Lefty has got a Marr petty for sale. Slightly over your budget.

Back