Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takashima issues

Takashima issues

Well, I picked up my takashima from jki the other day and this happened.....

Doh! any tips on the proper way of fixing this? I was somewhat surprised when it happened because I have owned the stone for under a year (i think)

now you have two stones. can i buy one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    now you have two stones. can i buy one of them?
    ha, so remount with some gorilla glue and lap the **** out of it? i guess that would be the a better option than trying get it back together.

Getting it back together isn't likely to work. I'm serious, I'd buy the part that came off.

well, we'll see if Jon chimes in on it. Making two stones doesn't sound like an awful option.

i cant tell if it broke in half or came off the base from the pics... stones like these are formed in layers, so these kinds of things can happen. Gluing it back together is not a great idea, as you will end up with glue inside the stones. A common way to repair things like this in japan is to use paper and lacquer around the sides and put the stone back together that way.

I have helped people out with this from time to time, both for stones we carry and stones we dont.

I guess you could put it back together, wrap the whole thing in tissue paper, and shellac the sides, but that has never worked for me, when I've tried to put together stones that have fallen apart. Maybe Jon has a a magic solution.

Just put it back together and lacquer, epoxy, or even fiberglass all around the sides.

Either that or make a second stone or possibly break it up into nagura and finger stones.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

hmmm well they split pretty close to the middle and they fit back together perfectly. Tough call, I'll make a decision in the morning.

Thanks guys.

There was another incident similar to this, I recalled: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Awasedo-J-Nat

I would just mount the top one on another plate and flatten both, then we would have two stones.