wow! forgecrafts, really?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
Hey,
I know that Forgecrafts have really become popular these days. I myself may have had something to do with that.
I know the prices have really been going up. I just didn't realize how ridiculous it has become. I was just on the bay and saw one with no embellishments for the ridiculous price of $114.95. Don't do it! if it is over $45 your are paying too much. Unless, its a Mike Henry or a conversion done by someone who knows what they are doing. that is all.

The forgecrafts you showed me were really nice. But yea, supply and demand probably.

Only one chef knife. A year and a half ago they were $9. Don't get me wrong. I think they are great knives. I just miss the sob $10 days.

and market manipulation as we've seen with the Sabatiers perhaps? Or is that still to come?

Since they don't make them anymore and there isn't a ready supply like the sabs. I don't think that's the case. I think its actually this forum. We now have a definite influence in the marketplace. Same thing is happening with the henckel 102 and a few other vintage carbons. We are basically bringing our passion into the mainstream. I actually, had a customer tell me about the new vintage chef knife he got. When I asked him why he bought, he actually quoted something I said, here on the forum, not realizing it was me. Apparently, we are moving up in the world.

I found a buy it now for 25 about 6 months ago, it had only been posted for a few minutes when i snagged it :). Of course rehandled it and gave it to a buddy that was moving away :beatinghead:

i just had the forgecraft son gave me thinned by del and its an amazing cutter. blows some of the low end japanese knives out of the water for sure.

No offence guys, but the rise in prices is because of places like this. It's quite annoying, really. Some chap(s) will fetishize a brand or object, it becomes popular and before you know it the prices are up to collector levels. This process is quite common in the hobby communities. I've seen it with film photography, firearms and hi fi. Sadly, many of these items end up as mantle pieces and their original desirability, being one of function, is replaced with a pride of ownership/look what I own attitude. I do not believe that to be the case here, but it's obvious that novelty is at play. However, obviously forgecraft knives are excellent otherwise they would not have attracted the attention they have.

I also think people like vintage and theses days less mainstream is mainstream. Look at all of us buying these custom and handmade knives.

I also think people like vintage and theses days less mainstream is mainstream. Look at all of us buying these custom and handmade knives.

You're absolutely right in as much that certain objects become fetishized and resultantly popular precisely because of their non-mainstream status--it's ironic and self-contradictory.

On the other hand, there are items that have always been around because of their innate ability to transcend fashions. Their popularity comes in waves, but those who see these things for what they are, are not effected by these trends. There are certain things that appeal to the more cultured than rich.

barbour coats in the uk, currently hip, my dads went shooting in em for 30 years, people will be wearing them in 50 years too.

Precisely why I dig a lot of Filson gear. Rugged, dependable, and fashionable in a very simple, straightforward manner.

I'd rather spend 400 on a jacket that'll last 15-20 years on the daily, than 80 on one that'll last maybe 3-5.

I totally agree with you there. It's not the jackets per se. It's more the $125 long sleeve shirts. I'm sure the quality is there, but some things are a bit over-priced for me. :)

Hmm maybe move to another brand for a bit ? Ontarios are out there... Apparently there were some nice carbons from the buffalo my area. I have a Robinson but its crazy thick. I have a co worker that has a 2foot cleaver from there also that's awesome to look at. Used by a grandfather to split cows. He'll old dexter carbons sharpen up nice and have a lot a room for profiling.

Back