Quantcast
Question about sharpening Victorinox Trekker Swiss Army Knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about sharpening Victorinox Trekker Swiss Army Knife

Question about sharpening Victorinox Trekker Swiss Army Knife

I'm going to pick up the Victorinox Trekker knife as a knife to have around for little things when I go camping. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-One...ductPromotions

I figure at least some of you must be into knives other than just kitchen knives, so maybe someone can help answer this question. How do you sharpen the edge on the main blade with making the serrations disappear? I know there are a lot of different opinions on serrated edges, but I figured I'd like to keep the knife in its original state for at least a little while, before I decide on a serious modification. Also, the serrations seem like they would be a good thing for a camping knife that sees somewhat rough use. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

*Note - I moved this thread to this forum even though it's not specifically about kitchen knives, this is our closest thing to a sharpening forum.

I had a look at the knife you linked to and I don't see the main blade as serrated, it looks plain edged to me.

I carry that at work, as my rescue knife.
    The portion closest to the tip is serrated and the blade is single beveled.
    I go at it with the corner of an oil stone and treat the back like it's an ura.
    It works well for me. It's a great knife by the way. I've tried a few other "rescues" and none have felt as good as this one.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks for the response. So you sharpen each little serration on the side of the stone? Regular strokes on a stone would eventually straighten the edge, right?

Yup! You have to go between each serration, using the corner (edge) of the stone. I use what would be miniature sectional strokes, crossed with sweeping. Kind of a twisting motion, really, followed with a light deburr on the opposite side.
    09/06

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to try it when I buy the knife.
    This Trekker seems to be even more useful than the Victorinox Rescue Tool (at least for the average person).

It's a better rescue knife too!
    09/06

I agree with the above suggested method. You can even devote a bottom corner of all of your stones for beloved serrated tools and their occasional care.

I have a SAK with that saw blade. What would one use that for?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If I was trying to cut any rope, fibrous material, or wood, I'd try the saw.

+ Reply to Thread