R2 Steel vs others

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pirate

Reaction score
Hi,

I just have to ask you experts if Damascus R2 steel knives are so much sharper and better then all other blades (VG2, VG10 etc)? For when reading on different sites so does everyone write a lot of positive things about those knives from Master Itou, Master Saji and Master Tanaka:running:

Sharpness is dependent on your sharpening skill. R2 (aka SG2) is a fine steel.

Hi,

I just have to ask you experts if Damascus R2 steel knives are so much sharper and better then all other blades (VG2, VG10 etc)? For when reading on different sites so does everyone write a lot of positive things about those knives from Master Itou, Master Saji and Master Tanaka:running:

As Tim said, sharpness is not so much a function of the steel or of the maker, but rather of the sharpener.

Rick

There are many factors, including a sharpener's ability and heat treatment. As a generalization however, R2/SG2 is considered a better steel than stainless like VG10.

OK. Thank you very much for this.
What hardness does blades in R2 from mentioned Masters normally have?
And if I have the money, do you then recommend me to go for Damascus R2 knives from one of the mentioned Masters (Saji for example), compare to for example Hattori FH or Misono UX10?

A short question more. Are there any differences in quality and sharpness on the knives from Master Saji or Master Itou? Are any of them more valuable then the other?

A short question more. Are there any differences in quality and sharpness on the knives from Master Saji or Master Itou? Are any of them more valuable then the other?

I've owned an itou and a tanaka both at the same time, the tanaka out shined the itou hands down. It also out shines any knife I've ever owned.

Back