Western handles, report any problem you had.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistington

Reaction score
Hi all! Today I received a picture of a western handle that had cracked so I would like anyone who has problems like this with any western handled knife from JNS to send me a PM with a picture of the crack so I can figure out what the problem is*.

It might be me just blowing this thing up based on one handle, but I can't ignore it. :(

*Is it a wood issue, care issue or something else?

The only time I've seen handles crack has been because of terrible knife care. IE continually putting knife in the dishwasher or soaking it.

My Itinomonn western 240 (red palm looking??) has a few small splintering cracks on the handle and a few chips on the rivets, one of the scales has pulled away from the tang a few mm and there is minor shrinkage on the underside of the handle, but its been around for a while and through a few hands - All of the damage was inflicted by previous owners. I still use it regularly without drama, have been wanting to get it rehandled though...:scratchhead:

http://postimage.org/

http://postimage.org/app.php

Well, I was the owner of the handle in question. I don't think it was the wood that failed, rather the red spacer lifted from the tang; you could visually see through from one side to the other; this caused the wood to crack.

The knife had only been in my possession for a short time, used once, oiled down and put in my knife box.

My guess is that between Denmark and the US, it was exposed to some dramatic temperatures?

I told Dan to write it here so we get what problem is :D
My fear was that it was wood, but after seen all other knives with same wood that did not fail. i maybe think it is temperatures things :p
However i do oil handle very well before shipment.

But anyway who have a problem Email me or Dan. Dan will probably help you better :p
Nomader what we will solve it :running:

Well, I was the owner of the handle in question. I don't think it was the wood that failed, rather the red spacer lifted from the tang; you could visually see through from one side to the other; this caused the wood to crack.

The knife had only been in my possession for a short time, used once, oiled down and put in my knife box.

My guess is that between Denmark and the US, it was exposed to some dramatic temperatures?

Spacers dont fail or cause separation as you are saying. The wood shrinks or shifts which cause the spacer to lift or move. :D

The only time I've seen handles crack has been because of terrible knife care.

Twistington. I have nothin but love for your work. and your attitude!

Here is my thoughts on this. Even if you do everything "right" there can still be problems with natural handle materials.
Some woods are prone to cracking and checking. Just the nature of the beast. and anyone who had been doing this for any length+ of time will tell you. Its not IF you are gona have a problem with a return or cracked handle its WHEN.
Some woods and materials are much more prone to become a problem then others. As well as, "how" we as craftsmen work the materials. Does and can make a notable difference in the longevity of a handle.
As Chef said. Sometimes its "caused" by the user. Either way. This stuff almost always happens long after the knife is made and sent on to the end user.

God Bless
Randy

I've had lot's of problems with my older knives having handles that split at the rivets, or that shrunk away from the tang. Once that happens it just gets progressively worse. These were knives I purchased about 20 years ago and they lasted about 10-13 years before the problems surfaced. I have 6 now sitting in a drawer waiting to get rehandled. They are not worth the cost of a new handle so it might not happen until I retire.

Now I will only buy knives with stabilized wood or a very dense wood like Ironwood or Cocobolo. Except for the shig I just bought and promptly sent to Mike Henry:D

Mine is still lovely, thank you Dan! I was really impressed with the craftsmanship. Maxim -- you were not lying when you said you shipped it well oiled! I had to wipe it down before I used it, heh. Is there a particular oil you would recommend to keep it in good shape? Danish oil? I also have some Camellia oil...

Snakewood and ebony are Bit%$es when it comes to cracking. I had a few handles for which I made repairs (end caps falling off etc) but when I made replacement handles it was mostly one of those two woods cracking.

Stefan

All three of mine (bog oak, ironwood and cocobolo I believe) are doing great, no issues at all.

Back