Sake & Kombu steamed lobsters, finished on the grill

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Was fixing up my Valentine’s Day recipe for the newspaper last Sunday. Last year I did lobster tails, this year it is whole lobster.

My wife's birthday was also Sunday, so I was killing to bird with one stone (or lobsters :biggrin: ).

When grilling whole lobsters, I find that it is better to partially cook them first by boiling or steaming them before putting them out on the grill to help keep them from drying out. This being extra special for Valentine's Day, I decided to steam them in sake with kombu (seaweed) before grilling.

Everything worked out as planed, and the lobsters turned out great, with taste of sake, sea and char from the grill.

Here are some pics.

eZvLy.St.117.jpg

UMEEe.St.117.jpg

320AZ.St.117.jpg

1pkmzc.St.117.jpg

1oHVjw.St.117.jpg

1OAeU.St.117.jpg

You can check out the recipe and more pics here.
http://www.dfw.com/2014/02/12/867664/weekend-chef-grilled-lobsters.html

Looks mighty tasty! I'll have to give this a go. Too bad it's an arm and a leg to get Maine lobster out here. Thanks for sharing!

Nice touch with sake and kombu! Do you also believe that parcooking helps the meat release from the shells? I do it before grilling or sous vide.

Lobsters are on sale this weekend, guess we will have lobster 2 weekends in a row, woo-hew!

I steamed them for 6 minutes then grilled them for 10. There is a link to the recipe at the bottom of the first post.

Back